April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (earlyriser), 428 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks a nice early gun.

Shame you parted with that nice Savage but there are only so many guns you can shoot at the same time!

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ain't it the truth...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, you’ve made your decision and it’s in line with what I would have recommended.

My thinking, and it’s what I try hard to follow, is that I need to love the gun first. And that is typically a combo of handling and appearance. Rarely does the maker’s name make much of a difference to me. A well made and beautiful gun doesn’t need a name to be a well made and beautiful gun.

These aren’t words of advice for collecting or making money. But when I follow it I’m sure happy with what’s in my safe.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
3 members like this: mc, Stanton Hillis, Lloyd3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
Lloyd, you’ve made your decision and it’s in line with what I would have recommended.

My thinking, and it’s what I try hard to follow, is that I need to love the gun first. And that is typically a combo of handling and appearance. Rarely does the maker’s name make much of a difference to me. A well made and beautiful gun doesn’t need a name to be a well made and beautiful gun.

These aren’t words of advice for collecting or making money. But when I follow it I’m sure happy with what’s in my safe.

+1

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Lloyd, Whittington, ‘22, seems to have lit the fire and now after what I confidently feel was a very enjoyable year of searching you’ve got your next play thing on the way. After taking a look, you’re in for great fun. Congratulations.

Speude Bradeos
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thankyou Sir.

Yes, it been a long and tortuous road to get here. Not quite fire & floods (but darn close). I can already visualize the first game trail I'll be carrying it on, coming into that first "hot" corner with the gun up, the hammers fully-cocked and ready to go. The slanting sun will be shining, the leaves will be falling, and the pungent smell of autumn in the north woods will be filling my nose, and I'll be searching keenly, listening for that furtive "putt, putt" of an alarmed grouse before it launches...

When I was younger, I remember having much different fantasies....oh well, this will have to do for now.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/09/23 02:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd- what is the meaning of "steam punk" as you used it in your thread. Enjoy the new smokepole, Kirby Hoyt is the ONLY dealer I would trust. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Foxy: I first heard the expression used a year or two ago (it helps to have a teenager in the house). Loosely defined, it's another form of counter-culture behavior I suspect, with a focus on the elaborate (& sometimes odd) Victorian-era engineering of things used in the steam-driven society of that time (steam trains & boats, steam-driven manufacturing, etc.). The kids that practice it are focused on older (or very old) artifacts that have otherwise been discarded by modern society as being obsolete, but that were well-made then and that are still very-functional now. I suspect that it's a behavior that is mostly driven by economics (& a need to own something tangible), but there is an "art" to it as well. It's a blend of campy and cool I suppose. It's old typewriters, chemical cameras, mechanical watches, fountain pens, spats and cigarette-holders, all combined with bathtub gin and absinthe. I don't entirely understand parts of it, but some of it is fun (& mostly harmless).

Think "Art Deco" or "Biedermeier" furniture, acetylene miner's lamps and bamboo fly rods, or the "Deus ex Machina" (translated loosely into "God from the Machine") of really old motorcycles with stick (or "suicide") gear-shifters, or even mechanical brakes and standard transmissions in cars instead of modern automatic transmissions (or now, even "self-parking cars"). That's almost "Steam Punk" to me.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/13/23 01:12 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Circa 1866. The side-opening system is Lang's Patent No. 46. I've never seen another like it.

Not bad for 157 years old. Love those fences...

And here's the best part...cocking those non-rebounding hammers from half-cock is a piece of cake.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/12/23 05:38 PM.
2 members like this: FallCreekFan, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can’t see photos Lloyd, can you try re-posting them?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.