Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Old friends were missed, new friends were made. A spectacular pot-luck event on Friday night, a perhaps even-better breakfast event on Saturday morning, cool but clear weather, and a wonderful facility (as always) was truly enjoyed. Some new shotgun games were played (shockingly good fun!) and a good time was seemingly had by all. For two (or three for some) days, the problems of the world were forgotten and the subject of upland hunting, fine shotguns, good food, fine whiskey (& wine) and even good cigars was deeply focused upon. It's hard to be back in my chair, in my office today, thinking about it all. A summer event at Whittington would be a very nice follow-up.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/01/23 10:23 AM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be at the Whitt for about 3 weeks in July this year. It's always the highlight of my summer.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Saw some really great guns this trip, a gorgeous, hi-condition and very-early Greener hammergun (again, an old friend), a 10-bore L.C. Smith hammergun, a semi-hammerless damascus gun (it's maker escapes me now) that was shot with authority during the dove flurry, a big (almost 8-lbs) long & straight-gripped E-grade Lefever ejector with 32-inch damascus tubes (that had been brought back from near-oblivion to beautiful function), and a 20-bore sidelever hammerless Grant that was stunning to behold and to handle. The dove flurry on Saturday has evolved into being a wonderful and challenging event, both entertaining to behold and humbling to participate-in. A lovely meal was served in the main dining hall on Saturday night and shotgun technica was discussed in-depth until the wee hours after. The next morning was mild and bright and the newest game (evolving out of "Crazy Skeet") was unfurled. As-of-yet unnamed and shot on the skeet field, it is a combination of skeet, trap and a random chandrelle being thrown across the front of the gunners (from beyond the high-house), and all at the determination of the mad-trapper running things. Shot in 3 teams of two shooters from the more-central 20-yard positions, three birds are thrown on-report, in varied succession, for each team (so 3 birds and 4 shells), and from all the available options presented. Teamwork is critical and a shooter's strengths need to be considered (for left & right positioning). Fast, intense, and darn-fun! For me, it fully imitates almost all the variables of actual field conditions and...I thoroughly enjoyed shooting it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/01/23 11:57 AM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice mix of doubles for the dove flurry.

and some Vintagers have a different perspective...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/01/23 02:26 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD: Three weeks in Whittington would be a wonderful escape from the world, but in July I'd guess that it would be pretty warm. Do they air condition the lodging options there?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, they do refrigerate. however, at 6000 ft, it's not really that warm, and it's the Southwest where they don't really have a clue about Humidity, unlike the Midwest and Southeast.

I stay in a camper that a friend brings. We rarely use the AC. Sitting under the awning with a barley pop or a good G&T is pretty heavenly while we watch the monsoons sweep past. The there are the stars. Almost unbeatable.

I could post hundreds of pics. It's an awesome place.

_________

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD. Prof: Wow, sounds pretty nice. Not hard for me to imagine that. It's always been a bit cooler when I've been there. You shoot mostly rifles or do you hit it all?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/01/23 04:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
BrentD. Prof: Wow, sounds pretty nice. Not hard for me to imagine that. It's always been a bit cooler when I've been there. You shoot mostly rifles or do you hit it all?

We shoot rifles in competition, Small Bore Sporting silhouette, NRA Western Nationals Lever Gun silhouette, .22 BPCRA Nationals Silhouette, International BPCR Silhouette Championship, in that order. All but the first are multiday affairs. On our off days or in the later afternoons or evenings, we shoot recreationally with other vintage rifles, misc. handguns, and then hit the sporting clays ranges with shotguns (when we aren't cooking up a storm). There are countless amazing custom, original, and restored rifles to be ogled as well. Life is sooooo good.

All of the rifle shooting is under canopies which negates a lot of the heat issue also, so it is very pleasant (usually), even in July.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/uIJQFde.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 05/01/23 04:30 PM.

_________

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Very nice!

Boxlock
Boxlock

Like the photos and that would be a very enjoyable stay. I had reservations last summer but had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances. Maybe this summer……….. .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.