April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (CJ Dawe), 1,008 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the last few weeks I have looked at on line offerings for three guns from three different sellers. I asked each of these sellers for barrel measurements, but was told that they didn’t have tools to measure. One said that if I was successful in bidding I could take the gun to a gunsmith for measurement.. Another offered wall thickness at the muzzle, only. The third offered pics of the muzzle with a pencil eraser for comparison. These sellers total well over 2000 current listings on the internet. What do you think about a seller who will not disclose gun condition questions ?

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don’t ask don’t tell sellers. Very lame.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
In the last few weeks I have looked at on line offerings for three guns from three different sellers. I asked each of these sellers for barrel measurements, but was told that they didn’t have tools to measure. One said that if I was successful in bidding I could take the gun to a gunsmith for measurement.. Another offered wall thickness at the muzzle, only. The third offered pics of the muzzle with a pencil eraser for comparison. These sellers total well over 2000 current listings on the internet. What do you think about a seller who will not disclose gun condition questions ?

Was one of these sellers ed good? I'd go elsewhere.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, RARiddell
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't view myself as a serious collector, although I have a few nice doubles, and can measure wall thickness and chokes. A dealer certainly should be able to.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is exceedingly common and it surprises me that anyone might think otherwise.

I think that if there is, as is common, a proper return policy than that is part of the cost of doing what we do. Verifying for ourselves the specs of a gun. And if it doesn’t measure up, back it goes.

I’m much more concerned about the return policy. Is it straightforward or is it ambiguous and open for interpretation by the seller to suit his best interests. For example, I stopped pursuing a gun I was interested in that was being offered by a member here because every effort to clarify the return policy was met with bafflegab

Last edited by canvasback; 04/21/23 03:05 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
4 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Ted Schefelbein, mc, eeb
Sidelock
Sidelock

A return policy should never come into use over simple to measure things. If you can not get a measurement of wall thickness do not bid. Why should I pay shipping and insurance both ways, then wait for funds to be refunded? A basic wall thickness measuring tool should cost you a couple hundred bucks at most. Top of the line are $700.00 or more. Cost part of doing business are the tools needed to be in business. A carpenter needs a hammer and air-nailer to work, a gun dealer needs tools to measure chokes and wall thickness.

You can not eyeball thicknesses and it is an important thing to know for real condition, original condition and safe use. I have seen more than one gun which had barrels cleaned up so poorly that they were trash. A mint looking LC Smith almost came home with me last year until I found the barrels had been reamed out until they were .014 about 12" from the breech. The gun had a honest 90% case color and 95% bluing, dealer 99% & 99% but the barrels were paper thin right about where my fingers hang out. I do not buy unless I can measure things anymore. Some dealers do not know and do not want to know facts which might interfere with selling a gun. Those will not measure and may not allow you to measure their guns. So I just wave goodbye to them and count my blessings and fingers.

1 member likes this: graybeardtmm3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
A return policy should never come into use over simple to measure things. If you can not get a measurement of wall thickness do not bid. Why should I pay shipping and insurance both ways, then wait for funds to be refunded? A basic wall thickness measuring tool should cost you a couple hundred bucks at most. Top of the line are $700.00 or more. Cost part of doing business are the tools needed to be in business. A carpenter needs a hammer and air-nailer to work, a gun dealer needs tools to measure chokes and wall thickness.

You can not eyeball thicknesses and it is an important thing to know for real condition, original condition and safe use. I have seen more than one gun which had barrels cleaned up so poorly that they were trash. A mint looking LC Smith almost came home with me last year until I found the barrels had been reamed out until they were .014 about 12" from the breech. The gun had a honest 90% case color and 95% bluing, dealer 99% & 99% but the barrels were paper thin right about where my fingers hang out. I do not buy unless I can measure things anymore. Some dealers do not know and do not want to know facts which might interfere with selling a gun. Those will not measure and may not allow you to measure their guns. So I just wave goodbye to them and count my blessings and fingers.

Your statement “I do not buy unless I can measure anymore”

Don’t you put in bids at auctions? How do you measure guns that you’re bidding on, especially overseas?

I don’t trust dealers measurements a lot of the times….I just brought in a gun and when measured on my tools….the wall thicknesses in both barrels were less than advertised and the bore diameters were also different than what this “respectable” dealer had in the ad. Gun was still in proof and MWT were adequate, so I kept the gun.

3 members like this: keith, Ted Schefelbein, canvasback
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back when Tom Bryant was in charge of the Gun Libraries' internet listings for Cabela's, I remember suggesting to Tom that they should all be able to measure barrels. His response: "Larry, a lot of them have trouble using a bore and choke gauge correctly."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
Back when Tom Bryant was in charge of the Gun Libraries' internet listings for Cabela's, I remember suggesting to Tom that they should all be able to measure barrels. His response: "Larry, a lot of them have trouble using a bore and choke gauge correctly."

I was interested to stop into Owatonna Cabela's a couple of weeks ago. The guy working the library was not completely clueless. They are buying guns again, and I sold him one, though not a double, although I did offer one. There were 28 used side-bys in the wrack. None of particular note or interest to me, but still, a lot better than my LGS.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding many auction houses. If they can tell be the chamber length and the chokes and the bore diameter, I can get a pretty good idea from those three things whether a gun has been "Bubba'd" up. I'm talking american doubles and primarily Foxes because that's what I like. However, I have been lied to by at least one auction house. Called and asked specifically on a Fox whether the ejectors worked and whether the guide rods were ok because I'd had more then a few break. They said everything was fine. Got the gun (as is auction) and the right ejector guide rod was sheared off and stuck in the barrel. I had to pay a couple of 100 bucks to get it fixed. I wasn't happy because I had specifically asked about that situation.

Above I said, I saw a double at a dealer at the Southern last year. Zero measurements noted on the hang tag regarding the barrels other then chokes (full/mod) and barrel length. I asked the dealer if I could have Jon Hosford measure the bores etc etc and he said sure. Took it to Jon and the first barrel about 12" down from the breech was .0018. I told Jon I was no longer interested in the gun and what did I owe him and he said nothing. Took it back to the dealer and set it on the table.

foxes rule
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.