May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (NTaxiarchis, Marks_21, SKB, 12boreman), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,550
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally like the finer things in life. I am not a rich man but I strive to have the very best I can afford. And in many instances more than I can afford.

Mike Proctor
2 members like this: Run With The Fox, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wax poetic about bamboo rods if you like, but I have never seen a sport using one to have anything other than a modern (i.e., plastic) line slithering through the guides. Yes, you can still buy silk lines, but nostalgia has limits and practicality takes over.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bluestem
Wax poetic about bamboo rods if you like, but I have never seen a sport using one to have anything other than a modern (i.e., plastic) line slithering through the guides. Yes, you can still buy silk lines, but nostalgia has limits and practicality takes over.

If you can still buy silk lines, some "sport" must be using them. I was not aware that they were available. More power to 'em.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

I enjoy fine split bamboo rods too. Like a fine shotgun do they fish better that a fiberglass rod, probably not. But like a nice shotgun I appreciate the hand workmanship and the small number of the ones made.

John Boyd

Last edited by arrieta2; 04/22/23 09:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to fish silk lines regularly. The older rods I was using had the smaller line guides. Silk is 3 times denser and only 1/3 the diameter of modern lines. It's great to use but....it does have a care and feeding component. There are now modern equivalents that mimic silk's characteristics. Sylk was one.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/22/23 10:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never used silk lines on any of my split cane rods--Have I missed out on something? Uncle Ed had a 3 pc. Montague "Rapidan" 81/2 ft. rod, Pflueger 1494 reel RHW-and always unspooled the silk line for the Winter "put-away" and then re-dressed it before the April opener-- I can see a silk line for dry fly work, but for nymphing and streamers, I am not so sure. Even if I wanted to use some, how do you match up a silk line with a modern synthetic line, ie" My favorite dry fly rig is: My Pre-fire Leonard 49- Bogdan reel and a Wulffm 4/5 trtiangle taper line and appropriate leaders. So what scale or chart do I need to match the action I get with that combo-- using No. 16 Adams, and No. 20 midges??RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
I used to fish silk lines regularly. The older rods I was using had the smaller line guides. Silk is 3 times denser and only 1/3 the diameter of modern lines. It's great to use but....it does have a care and feeding component. There are now modern equivalents that mimic silk's characteristics. Sylk was one.
I realize it has been a common perception that silk lines are much thinner than modern day plastic lines. In a small survey done on the Classic Flyrod Forum, it was found that on average that DT4 silk fly lines are actually only about 11% thinner than DT4F plastic fly lines. Having found this, I have a Phoenix DT1 silk line that runs about the same diameter as an Orvis DT1F plastic line that I have.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148326

Just like shooting a SxS adds to the experience, silk fly lines adds to the experience as well — it’s all part of the experience and tradition.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some people just want their tools to work.

I think many vintage items are more like totems for their owners. They don’t actually get used. They mostly just get looked at and fondled.
Which is all cool with me.

I’d like a glass rod, because that’s what I grew up with.

I have other high tech rods that cast far better

But I like the feel of a glass rod. They load differently.

I fished for salmon, with an Orvis rod that was made in Scotland, that was just a treat to hold in my hand.
I’ve never cast with another rod that compared.

I probably have a bunch of silk flylines packed away in my warehouse. Inherited stuff.
Since I live right by scientific anglers, I tend to support the local team.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
****snip****

I fished for salmon, with an Orvis rod that was made in Scotland, that was just a treat to hold in my hand.
I’ve never cast with another rod that compared.

****snip****
An Orvis rod made in Scotland, must be one rare bird, eh?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d be the first to say, IDK.
The keeper handed it to me.
I was instantly impressed with how are the rod handled, and he and I begin to talk about it.
I looked right at the labels.
Edited to add:
I may be misremembering the brand label, but not the country of manufacture.
I’ll make an effort tomorrow to locate pictures of the outfit.

It was important to the estate to be using locally produced equipment.
I have no idea of the age, or collectibility, or provenance of the rod.

I can fish any rod and be happy. It just has to feel right in my hand and the fly has to do what I want it to do.
That’s why rod designers have jobs. A rod for every hand that pleases the owner.

I am definitely more in the “it has to work“ category.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 04/23/23 09:49 AM. Reason: Possible misremembrance

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.