April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jem Finch, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 1,120 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey, guys. Please take a look at this Purdey hammergun.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...r-in-pictures.cfm?gun_id=102241983#lg-18

See that mark on both tubes, just ahead of the flats (you can see it in the 18th pic, down toward the end). It's sort of a disc with an arrow through it.

Any idea what it is? A maker's mark?

Thanks,

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Here's another one
https://www.hallowellco.com/james_purdey%20boxlock%20double%20rifle.htm

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

?LS&C ?LSSC

I'm trying to find if that mark was for Landore Siemens Steel Co. or the Sample Steel Work but no luck as yet.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/William_Siemens

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems that there’s been a few guns offered for sale lately once owned by Billy Perdue

Sidelock
Sidelock

William Siemens was one of the Siemens brothers that emigrated to England, he was the brother that founded r the Siemens Electrical and Cable manufacturing companies. This continued up to the Great War then was sequestrated by the British Government, it was all Electrical manufacturing the steel manufacturing was the other brothers factories in Germany. William Siemens later became a British citizen dropping his first name Carl and the spelling Wilhelm becoming Sir William Siemens having a dedicated window in Westminster Abby after his death. Avery clever individual indeed, though I am biased because I worked for the German Siemens company for fifteen years tough the company does have a lot of skeletons in the cupboard with regard to WW2.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Man that is an ugly $22,000 gun. I know it is rare, but yikes. I know Purdey introduced/favoured steel earlier than the other London makers, but 1889 was fairly early for steel. Was Purdey known to source barrels from Siemens? Perhaps fo this quality level?

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still can't find that mark as Siemens'

P. Webley & Son began using Siemens steel barrels about 1880 and reported excellent results.

John Henry Walsh, The Modern Sportsman's Gun and Rifle: Including Game and Wildfowl Guns, Sporting and Match Rifles, and Revolvers, Volume 1, 1882
“Siemen’s Steel for Gun Barrels”
http://books.google.com/books?id=OLwUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA445&vq
A 13 bore Siemens barrel did not bulge until 19 1/4 Dram Black Powder with a 1 1/4 oz. ball.
Siemens then reported a tensile strength of 55,000 - 60,000; other sources list 62,700 psi. That would be similar to "cold-rolled decarbonized steel" and AISI 1020.

Shooting, Thomas de Grey Walsingham, Ralph Payne-Gallwey, Gerald Lascelles, Archibald John Stuart-Wortley, Simon Fraser Lovat, Charles Lennox Kerr, 1886
http://books.google.com/books?id=MT9NF4BnAFIC
‘Siemens’ steel barrels are fairly good and very trustworthy for cheap weapons, but the best now manufactured are known as ‘Whitworth fluid compressed steel,’ and are of excellent quality, though considerably more costly than are the ‘Siemens.’

I haven't found a specific reference to Purdey.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.