May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hal M Hare, PALUNC, Chuck H, David Williamson), 458 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#628833 04/17/23 07:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a 28 gauge Diana that I'll be restocking.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Only because some expert is going to chime in,
There are no cracks in these blanks.
You're seeing dying lacquer thinner, not splits

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were you, I'd keep looking. These two blanks appear to have serious flaws, and the grain could make drilling for the throughbolt difficult. Just my take.

Bill Ferguson
4 members like this: Bob Cash, Imperdix, NCTarheel, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

First blank looks to be one sided. Might get better when cut. Second blank does not call me. Might look better in hand. A project like you describe needs a blank which makes me super interested in seeing it completed. To me the blank is the cheapest part of a custom stock when you consider the total cost. Good luck and I hope you get what you like. After all this is a gun to make you happy. Get what you want.

1 member likes this: Bob Cash
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d rather have a straight grained European walnut stock on a Superposed, than any piece of American black walnut.

Best,
Ted

6 members like this: Bob Cash, mc, keith, John Roberts, Imperdix, canvasback
Sidelock
Sidelock

You're in CA and cannot find a decent piece of English walnut? I'm with Ted but keep looking.

2 members like this: Bob Cash, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I’d rather have a straight grained European walnut stock on a Superposed, than any piece of American black walnut.

Best,
Ted

Amen Ted. Cash screwed up his 28 ga. upgrade by using American walnut with a candy-apple gloss finish rather than black streaked French/European walnut with a semi-gloss oil varnish. His choice, of course.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: keith
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Cash

i don't think that pic is selling your choice. At least not to a lot of members here. English walnut, semi gloss oil finish wins hands down. It's not like you have to go black walnut. It's not a Winchester and you aren't a stickler for originality.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mid 60's 28 gauge Pigeon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

This assumes that one first knows the difference between American Black Walnut and European Walnut. I don't think it is all that hard, but as can be seen here, even some who claim to be gunsmiths are unable to tell the difference, even when it is pointed out to them in detail:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...ransformation&Search=true#Post559819

And sometimes, it seems there is simply an affinity for shiny objects or flashy and fancy figured stuff that governs the choice of a stock blank. Something a crow would understand. And there is total disregard for all of the past Threads here that advise folks on what is desirable in a blank, and what to avoid. The blanks pictured in the OP appear to have so many cracks and voids that if Bob glued them together to use as a cutting board for his catering business, they would be repositories for all sorts of bacteria that cause food poisoning.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://www.nevharris.com/you-are-not-a-crow/

But there's always epoxy and various wood fillers to take care of cracks, voids, and inclusion defects, so who are we to judge???

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.