March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

To know the exact measurement of the chambers in a quick and easy way, without tools, there is a way that I imagine many of you know.

We need a stick, a wax candle and a ruler. We will make the measurement in one of the two chambers, if the shotgun is SxS or O/Y. First of all, we will make a block with newspaper and we will put it in the barrel at a distance of about 10 cm from the extractor. This will act as a stop for the wax.

The first thing to do is to place the barrel vertically with the breeches facing upwards. Tape both barrels, leaving a gap in which to test. Optionally, the inside of the barrel can be lightly oiled.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Fill the barrel with wax.

Wait for it to cool and solidify.

Cut it so that it is level.

With the help of a stick and through the front barrel, we will remove the wax candle with small blows.

Measure the length of the chamber.

This is the chamber length of my W&C Scott & Son, that surprise me with 70 mm!

PD: Sorry for my bad english and regards!

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

campero, I love it. Never thought of using candle wax. But I think it would be a little tricky on the floor of a gun show with a gun I have not yet bought.

I'll post a photo of my solution, though it has a few more coats of finish to go and it needs to be cut from the stock yet. Marks are for 2", 2.5", 2.75" and 3". The shoulder is 3.5".

The idea for this came from a photo texted to me, by another member here. Many thanks for that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 03/08/23 04:41 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

3 members like this: eeb, campero, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
KY Jon - Brent,
I've been in same boat since the disappearance of RST shells and the like. Kent shots hells had some 2 1/2" available, but with only 3/4 oz. of shot. I've recently scored a bunch of Fiocchi and Rio 2 3/4 " shells loaded with 7/8 oz. shot at 1200 fps. I've shot them in my 2 1/2 " chambered Churchill with great results. The hulls show no harm at all to the ends, and they feel better than the RST's did. Perhaps just reloading the shortest 2 3/4 " measured shell to the 20 gauge equivalent would work. I have to admit, I haven't missed the 1 oz. that I normally shot.
Hope this helps,
Karl

Karl, I have 1 flat left of those same RIO loads. They are really nice to shoot and I don't suffer any damage to my scores either.

I have been reloading near equivalents of that load as well using American Select powder and some others. I'll be adapting that to the 2" gun, if and when I find one.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Crude, but it works for me

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Gauge by FGP1154, on Flickr

3 members like this: earlyriser, campero, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
KY Jon - Brent,
I've been in same boat since the disappearance of RST shells and the like. Kent shots hells had some 2 1/2" available, but with only 3/4 oz. of shot. I've recently scored a bunch of Fiocchi and Rio 2 3/4 " shells loaded with 7/8 oz. shot at 1200 fps. I've shot them in my 2 1/2 " chambered Churchill with great results. The hulls show no harm at all to the ends, and they feel better than the RST's did. Perhaps just reloading the shortest 2 3/4 " measured shell to the 20 gauge equivalent would work. I have to admit, I haven't missed the 1 oz. that I normally shot.
Hope this helps,
Karl

Karl, I have 1 flat left of those same RIO loads. They are really nice to shoot and I don't suffer any damage to my scores either.

I have been reloading near equivalents of that load as well using American Select powder and some others. I'll be adapting that to the 2" gun, if and when I find one.

Brent,
Loaded as such, the pressure feels low and the ends of the hulls in 2 1/2 " guns have no burns/splits or damage what so ever. I suspect that the shot string is improved as well. The solution for your proposed 2" gun would be quite different I'm sure.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, your solution is great and very usefull but hard to do for all gauges. Mine is easy and it show how is the chamber and the first part of barrel, but as you said is not for do in a gun show.

Regards!

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Edd how would you check the barrel for the 30,,90 measurement at a gun show .??????????

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very easy way to check chamber length on any shotgun is to use a index card, roll it lengthwise and insert it in the chamber and let it conform to the chamber size. Then gently slide it until it stops, mark it and try it again. Works every time and is simple to do anyplace.

Jon, years ago I only shot 20 gauge and started reloading for skeet. I used only Winchester AA compression formed 2 3/4" hulls. They all seemed to be consistent in length. I shot them out of a Winchester 101. Since then I have not reloaded any 20's but still have components to do so, but again they are 2 3/4". Since I started shooting and collecting doubles, mostly L.C. Smiths, the chambers for 20 gauge until sometime in the middle 1930's was 2 1/2", after that they went to 2 3/4". So I cannot say anything about loading short 2 1/2" 20 gauge, however I do reload 2 1/2" 16 gauge. The chambers for 16 gauge L.C. Smith's until late 1939-40 were 2 9/16" chambers. I use a Mec 600 Jr. and use a 1/4" spacer under the 3-5 stations to raise the hull for powder/shot, start crimp and final crimp. I use mostly Cheddite hulls, some Federals and a few black Remingtons cut to 2 1/2" .
From all the shooting you do you probably use a progressive machine like the Mec 9000. Not sure how short 20's are done in that.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by David Williamson
A very easy way to check chamber length on any shotgun is to use a index card, roll it lengthwise and insert it in the chamber and let it conform to the chamber size. Then gently slide it until it stops, mark it and try it again. Works every time and is simple to do anyplace.

Brilliant!

_________

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well I now have about 3,600 Remington 20 gauge hulls that are at or under 67mm. Measured and sorted. I adjusted my Spolar loader last night and loaded 800 with 7/8 ounce shot, 8,000 Psi, 1150 fps. I was more interested in keeping the pressure under 8,000 than getting velocity up to 1,200 fps. I have used this load in the past and know it patterns beautifully. All with standard wads and powder on hand. If the weather hold Sunday I’m going to shoot these in my 20 bore, 2 1/2” Pape hammer gun.

I am a happy fellow. Next up will be finding a 12 gauge equivalent hull and load. Goal will be 1 ounce, 67mm, with pressure under 7,500, maybe 6,500 for Summertime use and anything around 1100-1150fps. Again it has to be with common available wads and powder on hand. I know I could just load 2 3/4” and most likely never worry about shooting them in my guns, but 67mm in a “65”mm chamber is easier to accomplish than I thought. I have 5,000 Fiocchi and 3,000 B&P hulls to start with. I might just load up a couple loads and have them tested if I can’t find a listed load. But I think there are plenty to pick from, between the two. If not, I still have Remington, AA, Federal paper and Federal plastic to look at.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.