May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Davis, SKB, MattH, KY Jon, obsessed-with-doubles, 1 invisible), 259 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any idea what would cause an occasional hair triggers on a side lock? I've taken the locks out and looked at them, but I didn't see anything that might cause the problem.

Left barrel is one in every 20-30 shots and the right barrel just had it's first hair trigger

Gun in question is a Rigby side lock

Thanks!

Last edited by Chantry; 03/06/23 07:47 PM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two items come to mind. First is the trigger plate on which the triggers are mounted is moving around allowing the trigger to rest on the sear. When you fire the gun there is just enough movement to partially disengage the sear from the hammer. When the hammers are cocked is there any play in the triggers, there should be a little movement. if not try putting a shim cut from a playing card under the trigger bar and see if this helps. A lot of older guns have had the trigger bar removed and replaced a number of time and this can compress the wood to a point that causes problems.

The other area to checks is there the sear arms pass thru the stock (usually thru a hole running horizontally. Again over the years there can be some wood swelling or the wood below the lock plates can get depressed allowing the sear to ride on the triggers.

In either case there should be a slight play or movement in the trigger.

Hope this helps...

WBLDon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cocking rods/arms could be worn enough that a light opening of the barrels may not allow for a complete recock, whereas a spirited opening does. You’d probably see firing pin drag in that instance though. Make sure when you open the barrels you are hitting the stop, nothing hard though. Wood contact could be another. A cleaning perhaps?

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

A cracked stock?

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Little to no play on the triggers.

Last time I had the gun apart the locks were clean and I have not shot the gun enough for any appreciable amount of fouling to build up

There no visible cracks on the stock

"Cocking rods/arms could be worn" could be the problem, possibly aggravated by my tendency to baby the gun. I have not seen any drag marks on the primer, but I haven't really been looking too closely at the fired hulls.

Thanks everyone

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Chantry

Last time I had the gun apart the locks were clean and I have not shot the gun enough for any appreciable amount of fouling to build up

"Cocking rods/arms could be worn" could be the problem, possibly aggravated by my tendency to baby the gun. I have not seen any drag marks on the primer, but I haven't really been looking too closely at the fired hulls.

Thanks everyone

Are you aware that they must be "play in the triggers" which means that there is a few thousands of an inch gap between the triggers where they contact the sears with the safety disengaged ? With the safety engaged there should be no play. If you are saying that this clearance does not exist with safety disengaged, then you need to determine why this is the case and correct it.

Last edited by bushveld; 03/07/23 08:56 PM.
1 member likes this: SKB
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Originally Posted by Chantry

Thanks everyone

Are you aware that they must be "play in the triggers" which means that there is a few thousands of an inch gap between the triggers where they contact the sears with the safety disengaged ? With the safety engaged there should be no play. If you are saying that this clearance does not exist with safety disengaged, then you need to determine why this is the case and correct it.

With the safety off there is some back and forth play in the triggers, not a lot, maybe between 1/32" and 1/16", probably closer to 1/16".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Send it to a good gunsmith (preferably one familiar with English-Continental guns) and have him work in the sear/bent geometry and have them set at 4 lbs front, 4.5 rear. Good to go. It’s obviously an issue that needs remedied.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is probably best to leave the sear geometry last, after ensuring that all other causes (such as wood shrinkage etc) can be ruled out. Sear work is one of those "once done cannot be undone" things and I have seen some high end double ruined by a rush to change the sears. All by skilled smiths who were too busy or too lazy to proceed cautiously. Like they say, fools rush where angels fear to tread etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
It is probably best to leave the sear geometry last, after ensuring that all other causes (such as wood shrinkage etc) can be ruled out. Sear work is one of those "once done cannot be undone" things and I have seen some high end double ruined by a rush to change the sears. All by skilled smiths who were too busy or too lazy to proceed cautiously. Like they say, fools rush where angels fear to tread etc.

“Once done cannot be undone”

What a load of crap. I just did exactly that….a FH Greener that came to me with 2 lb hair triggers, and now they are 4 and 4.5 pounds, accomplished by doing a legit trigger job aka changing the geometry of the sear/tumbler bent.
Before ANY trigger work is done by a legit gunsmith, all other factors are considered, this is accomplished by that skilled gunsmith inspecting the parts to include the wood.
A “skilled” gunsmith doesn’t botch a trigger job. I think your definition of “skilled” is too easily handed out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.