April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (tut, Jem Finch, Jeremy Pearce, Longknife), 1,201 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful image indeed.

https://www.onthewingphotography.com/wings/gray-partridge-images/
"Jugging" - The roosting of a covey of partridges (family Phasianidae), the group in the roost being called a 'jug'.

Possibly from the Scots 'jougs' - a round iron collar

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ecology-grey-partridge-perdix-mervyn-p-walsh
In fine weather, the night is spent in a tight group in open areas preferably 25-80m from the nearest tree; a behaviour known as ‘jugging’.

I was hunting in NE KS in the above 0 teens in 10" of snow. My setter went on point, pointing at snow and no cover. I foolishly didn't trust the dog, but kicked around and out popped 6 quail that were in a snow-covered hole. Felt bad about disturbing them.

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Daryl Hallquist
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, both of those articles are really fun and full of information. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Archibald Thorburn "Hard Times - Partridges and a Hare", 1892

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

2 members like this: Parabola, Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, I love ir. One of your article talks about the “gray” partridge actually being somewhat colorful. Mr.Thorburn saw that. I have often been amazed at how beautiful wild turkeys are in the close sunlight since at the usual visual distances they look dark black or brown. I have spent many years with my dogs hunting Huns in Canada. After a month of enjoying these birds around the house, I’m not sure I can hunt them with the same fervor as in previous years. Getting old ? Yes

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another Thorburn "Partridges in a Winter Landscape"

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done Drew in finding references. I remember some years ago when on a sniping exercise on some open heather moorland. I must have been well cammed in because I had a pack of red grouse land all around me. What interested me most was the faint little calls that they made. I suppose that landing in thick heather they would need to call the brood together for the night and the faint calls were a way of doing just that. Quite a privilege to be a part of and I only wish I could have recorded it in some way as I would doubt many would have witnessed this behaviour. After a couple of minutes they must have rumbled me as they moved off somewhere else. Lagopus.....

2 members like this: Drew Hause, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus,

Friend of mine had a somewhat similar experience. He was sat in a high seat when a sparrow hawk perched on top of his cap before flying off in disgust.

With reference to my theory above were the bird’s calls reminiscent of the sounds of jugs or tankards clinking when held together?

Parabola

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thorburn's "Red Partridges", 1913 calling up the brood

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola, the birds in this case were red grouse. Difficult to describe the sound but it was a series of faint cheeps and churs. I would doubt if it has ever been recorded anywhere. To be right in the middle of the pack as it landed was possibly an unique experience. Lagopus.....

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only place we see gray partridge now is on a few spots on the gravel roads where gravel is showing. We have been dumping some wheat on those spots hoping they will find it before it gets covered up again. Two coveys are down to four birds each now, with two at 8 and one at 12.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.