March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,979
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Excellent post, Keith.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Excellent post, Keith.

Thanks Stan. I really enjoyed yours too. Growing up, I was always envious of guys like you who lived in places where they could walk out the back door and go hunting or shooting. And that's why I bought acreage and built a house in the country where I could do just that. It's a lot of work, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith: I didnt realize that PA was initially mostly evergreen, thankyou for that. Ever heard of Sagertown? On Route 965 out of Polk, Pa there is a Sagertown Road which is a reference to a town that has been gone since the 1920s. My grandfather used to deliver groceries there as a very young man (he was born in 1904). Nothing left but a few foundations and is a locally favorite area now for deer hunting.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/05/23 04:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me a bit of Corey Ford's "Tinkhamtown"--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Keith: I didnt realize that PA was initially mostly evergreen, thankyou for that. Ever heard of Sagertown? On Route 965 out of Polk, Pa there is a Sagertown Road which is a reference to a town that has been gone since the 1920s. My grandfather used to deliver groceries there as a very young man (he was born in 1904). Nothing left but a few foundations and is a locally favorite area now for deer hunting.

Lloyd are you perhaps thinking of Slatertown? There is a small town named Saegertown (slightly different spelling) about 25 miles NNW of Polk, over in Crawford County, but it is still alive and well.

I've hunted a number of spots around Polk and Rt. 965 over the years, and I am very familiar with Slatertown Road, which is a dirt road that comes out to Rt. 965 a little west of Polk. I'm also pretty sure there was once a small village by that name along its' route that is totally gone. The last time I was there, I had been grouse hunting off Dog Hollow Rd. near Bullion, and wanted to check a potential muzzleloading deer hunting spot near Raymilton to see if the area I'd hunted a couple years before had been posted. It was already past noon and I wanted to get in some more grouse hunting, so I took a shortcut on Slatertown Rd. through the middle of State Game Lands 39. The weather had turned to sleet and freezing rain, and I was a bit hesitant as I hit the steepest part of the hill going down into the bottoms to cross South Sandy Creek. The dirt road looked like wet glass, and I almost got stopped, then slowly slid off the side of the icy road into a shallow ditch. I had a grand old time until nearly 5:00 PM pulling my truck back onto the road with a couple come-a-longs and chains wrapped around trees. I fell on the ice several times, and at one point slid on my ass about 40-50 feet downhill when I was putting tire chains on my back tires, because obviously the studded tires were not going to be enough. Over the years, I've learned that it is always best to put on tire chains before you get stuck... not after. By the time I got to where I had a bit of traction, it was almost dark. I abandoned the idea of going all the way across over toward Rt. 965, and instead headed back toward I-80 at Barkeyville, hoping the salt trucks were out.

SGL 39 near Slatertown Rd. is also the area where my cousin was shot dead while turkey hunting when I was in college. Not a good memory there, and devastating to my uncle who was hunting with him that day.

There are remains of several of those old stone blast furnaces very near this area. Victory Furnace is a few miles northeast of the other end of Slatertown Rd. where it meets old Rt. 8. There is another in pretty bad condition at Raymilton, and another a few miles east along Bullion Run. I killed my first buck with a flintlock rifle sitting about 30 feet high up on top of Webster Furnace (built in 1838 on Bear Run) near East Sandy Creek between Van and Rockland. I didn't even know what it was when I found this big snow covered cut stone structure in the darkness at around 5:30 AM on the first day of buck season, and foolishly decided it would be a great idea to climb it, and use it as a deer stand. Back then, I'd climb about anything to get a better vantage point. Now I'm a bit more aware of my mortality. Two hours later, two bucks and several does on a mid-morning feed came into range, and I set the trigger, squeezed, and had a flash in the pan. That got their attention, but they nervously stared at me and stamped the ground while I poked my pick into the vent, re-primed, and fired again. This time I took the 8 point with a heart shot. A guy I knew had later told me my stand was an old brick making furnace. It was only about 8 or 9 years ago that I revisited it and researched what it really was used for. That whetted my interest, and led me to find more of them while also leading me to hunt in new areas. I love hunting new and unfamiliar areas, even though it is harder to be successful than patterning the game with trail cameras, etc. I never imagined that my hunting would also become a living breathing history lesson, but a lot of our past is out in them thar' woods.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2 members like this: Imperdix, Parabola
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith, you are correct, it is Slatertown. My folks lived in Saegertown for a short while in the 90s and I'm sadly confusing the two names. There's another fairly big furnace near to the Miller Farm just west of Polk on US 62 (and Big Sandy Creek). I used to know it's name but can't recall it now. Yes, hunting there is on top of the bones of a great deal of history. I really miss being able to just step out my door and walk into the woods to start my hunt. Did that all through highschool and simply took it for granted. Now I can't safely unslip a gun untill I'm several miles from home, and any "real" hunting now requires several hours of travel (like 4 or 5). Before I'm too old to do it, I might end up back there again someday. It would be a real treat to be able to step out my door again, gun in hand, and not stir anybody up.

If I remember correctly, that Bullion Run furnace was called the General Grant. We used to ride our bikes out there from town and collect the shiny green and grey "clinkers". The sharp edges would usually cut holes in my pants pockets.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/06/23 11:43 AM.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Parabola
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For Eastern Kansas, I recommend Prairyearth by William Heat-Moon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.