May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 816 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear recent studies in the UK have raised concerns about the use of the recently introduced 2 1/2”/65 mm steel loads in 2 3/4” (and presumably 3”) chambered guns.

The fear is that in the gap between the case mouth and the forcing cone steel pellets can escape the protective wad and score the cone.

This adds to my determination that if I ever have to use steel, it will only be in guns that have cost me less than a 25 cartridge box of Bismuth.

Last edited by Parabola; 12/15/22 02:24 PM.
1 member likes this: greener4me
dukxdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ROMAC that's a beautiful Francotte. Do you know the weight? I have a true love of Francotte shotguns.

Stan that NID is top notch.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
with my limited abilities...

We finally agree on something. grin grin

Merry CHRISTmas, ed.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

These old short tens are the ones that currently handle the bulk of my waterfowl hunting

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ww315/thatvoodoothatyoudo/IMG_2741.HEIC[/img][/URL][/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...udo/IMG_2742_4LFJbF6jULohjvY6tDNb6x.WEBP[/img]

2 members like this: Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what its worth, when the lead shot ban came in the early 90's, I sold my Model 23 Winchester I used for ducks and geese and bought an Eibar made 10 ga for $300 brand new. 32" bbls, wt 9 1/2 lbs, chokes F&F. I also bought two boxes each of Federal 3 1/2 in. steel 1 5/8 oz loads in BB and T shot, then I went to see my local gunsmith George Orndorff who agreed to ream the chokes out 5 thousandths at a time, then I would test them at the pattern board. Took about 5 weeks, I wouid pick up the gun downtown on Friday, pattern over the weekend , then bring it back to him on Monday. Unreamed, the barrels printed a tight oblong pattern that was thin in the middle. Sort of like a figure 8 on a 30 degree axis from the vertical. Not acceptable. 5K cut, rounded out a bit. 10K, same. 15K little rounder, still very tight. 20K (leaving 22 points still in the barrel) gave me a perfectly round 40 inch pattern with 80% of the load of BB's inside 30 inches. I stopped there on the left barrel, and cut the right another 5, leaving 17 in. Perfect round pattern spread over 48 inches with 65% in the 30 inch circle. Stopped there. T's patterned 10% tighter, but with way fewer pellets. I shot greater and lesser Canada's for 10 years with that gun, using only steel BB's. The longest goose I shot was probably 60 yards dead overhead, looking for its mate. The BB's worked. Never had to go to the T's, which still sit in my gunroom. The right barrel was also deadly at 30 yards when they cupped up. Then, I got into vintage doubles and the old Eibar 10 has sat unused for almost 20 years. I now shoot Bismuth 2's out of a Parker lifter with open chokes, which is deadly on cupped birds, and just got a Parker top lever with 32 inch barrels and original full chokes. That gun patterns 130/150 RST No. 2 Nice shot 1 1/4 oz nominal, all within a 36 in circle. I bought 30 of the Nice shot about 10 years ago (at about $3 per shell) and they no longer offer it. My bad. Still, if I wasn't enjoying shooting the hammer guns so much, I would pull out the Eibar to kill geese.

Last edited by limapapa; 12/15/22 11:15 PM.
3 members like this: mc, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by J.B.Patton
These old short tens are the ones that currently handle the bulk of my waterfowl hunting

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ww315/thatvoodoothatyoudo/IMG_2741.HEIC[/img][/URL][/img]

Those guns, and the dead mallards you have pictured with them over the last 15-20 years, are one of the main things that attracted me to short tens about 12-14 years ago. I recall so many of the pics you made in the blinds, etc., with them.

It has taken until now to find the right one for me, one that doesn't weigh as much as an artillery piece. Thanks for posting that, J.B.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find LimaPapas observation most interesting as they mirror my findings at the pattern board almost Identically. I imported some Italian 10 ga O/U's which had .042" choke in each barrel. Base patterns were 64%. Steel No.2s. Starting with the lower bbl I opened them up in .003-.004" increments. A steady increase in density and improved evenness of distribution were noted until at .018" constriction Where it was printing an 84% pattern .Set the top barrel to this dimension and continued with the lower bbl until at .008" restriction i got a very good 60% pattern. I've subsequently used the .018 & .008 on a number of guns , both 10 & 12 ga with very good results. I did balance the chokes to give cone length to choke parallel lengths with a ratio of 1:1.3 to accommodate the longer shot column of steel vs lead , weight for weight.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
3 members like this: Parabola, limapapa, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is very interesting, Hugh. Did you determine the ratio by trial and error, or was it something you learned elsewhere? Many of the old guns, which were designed to shoot lead only, had tapered chokes with no parallel section. I have wondered if parallel profiles in chokes came about as a result of trial and error, or simply a lack of the proper tapered reamers to get the job done that way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ROMAC that's a beautiful Francotte. Do you know the weight? I have a true love of Francotte shotguns.

From memory, it is just under 8 pounds.

I'll have to pull it out and weigh it this weekend.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

That would be very light for a 32" Ten. I'm interested, also, to know if it's that light.

I'm waiting on a new set of digital scales to arrive. My other set started acting crazy recently. I dug out the instructions and it said to check the batteries. I had forgotten it had batteries, because of the 120VAC converter it has. The batteries were corroded so bad they had eaten up the spring contacts. I trashed it and ordered a new one. I'll have to remember to remove the batteries before storing it, from now on. I also use one to balance rod/piston assemblies for the 2.5L Merc two-stroke high performance engines we play with.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.