May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

When the boutique legal no tox shot became popular, Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring, MD offered a gross amount of steel ten gauge ammo for about five bucks a box, yes, a box of 25 shells. I had a very large covey of tens at the time, but didn't want to damage the bores on those collector guns. The option was to use my minty AYA Matador lightweight ten, the one with case hardened frame and double triggers. I shot that great gun for several years for all of my waterfowling. The steel shot caused no damage to the bores or chokes and made waterfowling on a budget a reality. Steel shot for long range waterfowling is another story. Yes the AYA Matador ten is my choice for a waterfowl gun. I load my short tens like they were 12 gauge shells for the same use. Skeet loads with about 21 grains of Red Dot and 1 1/8 ounces of shot with any wads that fit, just like the old days. Heavy waterfowl loads, look on the PGCA forum for information. Factory RST would be one choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore, small question on the AyA 10; did you have some choke removed for steel or did it shoot through the original tight chokes?

Oddly, good English 10's are hard to find here I think most were somehow exported. I have only a single by Sumner of Liverpool. Still looking for a decent and affordable double. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Got a new to me Ithaca NID Grade 3, 2 7/8", 32" gun. This will be my first season with it. Have close to 100 reloaded plastic hulls on hand, loaded with 1 1/4 oz. bismuth 4s, at 1200 fps. I intend to work towards loading some with heavier charges of bismuth, and Nice shot, as time allows. These particular guns were designed to shoot a 1 5/8 oz. lead load, and I want to duplicate it with non-tox as nearly as possible. Probably will require using card wads instead of plastic shot cups. I don't think the SP10 wad will "allow" that much bismuth. Will experiment with the Versatile to see.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Stan, why would you not use plastic wads?

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, all bs aside...pls dont shoot steel in this fine old nid...you will score the barrels for sure...

Last edited by ed good; 12/14/22 05:11 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by greener4me
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Got a new to me Ithaca NID Grade 3, 2 7/8", 32" gun. This will be my first season with it. Have close to 100 reloaded plastic hulls on hand, loaded with 1 1/4 oz. bismuth 4s, at 1200 fps. I intend to work towards loading some with heavier charges of bismuth, and Nice shot, as time allows. These particular guns were designed to shoot a 1 5/8 oz. lead load, and I want to duplicate it with non-tox as nearly as possible. Probably will require using card wads instead of plastic shot cups. I don't think the SP10 wad will "allow" that much bismuth. Will experiment with the Versatile to see.

Stan, why would you not use plastic wads?

I will use plastic wads, for 1 1/4 oz., maybe a little more, but you can't fit a 1 5/8 oz. bismuth into any plastic shot cup that I am aware of. I want to work up a bismuth or Nice Shot load that will approximate the 1 5/8 oz. lead load that was intended for this gun when it was built. I have plenty 12 ga. waterfowlers that handle 1 1/4 oz. bismuth quite well. This girl needs to shoot as near as possible what she was made too shoot, IMO. Just a fun project to do.

Originally Posted by ed good
stan, all bs aside...pls dont shoot steel in this fine old nid...you will score the barrels for sure...

Go root under a rock, ed. If you don't know me better than that, from my posts over the years, don't even address me. I would like to know one thing, though. What BS are you referring to?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS #623569 12/14/22 06:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Stan, nicely engraved with what appears to be good condition. Gil

She, Valerie that is, is in high original condition, Gil. Wood and metal finishes original, IMO. I believe that she has never been fired much at all.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, that Ithaca is a beauty.

I'm down to six ten gauge shotguns from a high of eight.

Three are SXS's. My favorite is a Francotte grade 25 with 32 inch barrels and 2 7/8 chambers. Presently, I also have a W&C Scott and a Sarasqueta.

It's a pleasure to shoot with my light lead lead reloads, I even load Polywad spreaders for tower shoots for pheasant. I just wish RST would get back in production, because cut down hulls from 3.5 inch steel loads just don't always crimp the way I want them to. My RST hulls are on their 3rd reload and I'd like to buy another 100 or so to keep me in the game.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

5 members like this: dukxdog, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell, John Roberts, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

ROMAC,
That is a stunning gun, as is Stan's Valerie! The condition on both seem beautiful.
Karl

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, i dont know you, except for what you post here...

Last edited by ed good; 12/14/22 09:42 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

What chokes for the steel #3s, please?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.