March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Remington40x
I can't speak to Michigan, but if I were looking to move to someplace to retire from where I now live, I'd consider north-central Pennsylvania, somewhere just north of I-80 near a town called Danville. Great medical care (Geisinger Health System), good fishing (Susquehanna River and numerous feeder streams), grouse hunting in the nearby state forests and a couple of universities within a short distance for intellectual stimulation. Plus, rural Pennsylvania is still pretty conservative and it's likely to stay that way for a while.

What difference does it make how conservative the rural part is, when the cities elect an actual brain damaged senator to office?

The platform he ran on looked like state sponsored economic suicide.

I can think of a number of third world countries that have better long term fiscal planning and goals.

Best,
Ted

5 members like this: keith, John Roberts, craigd, Stanton Hillis, mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Senator. Uncle fester

1 member likes this: keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

Having made the move from MN to NC I will tell you this. I traded a brutal winter, and surprising to most a humid, buggy summer for much more reasonable seasons. The spring here is a delight, not a muddy, sloppy mess. I lost the instant access to great grouse and pheasant hunting. I have found that I can return to MN for 4 to 6 weeks in the fall to get the best the of grouse and pheasant seasons, Oct. and part of Nov. plus firearms deer if I choose. I did not choose deer this year as the weather was bad. I hold out the option though. NC has reasonable if not good trout fishing, no steelhead, but some "toothy old men" none the less! Would I move back? Nope, I would be too old to want to deal with the winter after I don't hunt. I would consider MI to have an equally brutal winter/ buggy humid summer, can't say though. I will say if I had not moved I would be satisfied to finish up in MN. One final thought I'm considering, motorhome!

Chief

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dogon: As far as the "potholes" in Medicare that you mention, one showed up here yesterday in the form of a rather large bill. The real reason that they barrage you with notices before you turn 65 is that they can't wait to pick your pocket to help pay for the folks who can't or won't (who says we don't already have socialized medicine?). Whatever the fine is for not signing up on-time, if you've ever worked for a living it's likely much-less than what they'll be gouging you for, and... for questionable service at best. You actually have to submit a form to be given permission to use other (not government sponsored) insurance. I knew I smelled a rat here. The more I learn about it (Medicare) the less I want to have anything to do with it.

Chief: After having been fishing in the mountains of western North Carolina, I can certainly see the appeal. Winters alone would be a good reason to relocate. There's a reason why I only hang-out on the Lake-of-the-Woods in Fall and Spring.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/06/22 12:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

MC might not be that bad Lloyd. I switched on 1 Nov. On 28 Nov I had shoulder surgery and am in a sling right now and for the rest of this month. But so far as MC is concerned, it has been confusing, but so far has worked just fine.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm 71, and have been on Medicare for several years, now. I haven't one bad thing to say about it, so far. I was hospitalized in August and September of 2020 for 27 days, 14 of those in ICU, most of those on a ventilator, 6 more in a private room, and 7 in rehab. Total out-of-pocket expenses for me was less than $300, which had something to do with the ambulance trip to the ER. How it could have been any better than that I don't now.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, BrentD, Prof
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan: I'm pleased to hear that, thank you! Out here in the Rocky Mountains, many of the better local physicians don't take Medicare any more (or at least limit it's use). I'm quite used to paying my own way for the peripheral stuff anyway (dental, optical, etc.) and I've been blessed with good health (& good luck) overall. It's not so-much the program that I object to, it's the clearly devious & then heavy-handed tactics used to get you into it. My fear is that one day (maybe even now?) our healthcare system will devolve into a 2-tier process, separating the well-heeled from the not-so. The little work that I've had done over the years was never covered by any regular insurance (from laser surgery on my eyes, to "experimental" treatments for Lymes disease, to stem-cell therapy on my lower back) and had to come out of my own pockets anyway, which is why I have a well-funded HSA and an ever-more cautious nature now. Most of the medical technologies I've had to avail myself of in the last 20-years or so were always deemed "elective" and never-mind their effectiveness. That sort of "we-know better" controlling mind-set never sets well with me. I haven't truly figured out how I will go forward from here, and I haven't given up on Medicare just yet, so...we'll see, I guess. Still figuring out all the options.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/06/22 03:12 PM.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

All concerns that I share, Lloyd. And, I'll admit to being flabbergasted at how well it paid. I could have just been "lucky". I guess time will tell.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Friday I had bilateral rfa on my lower back I did have to pay 600 but medicare and my supplement covered the rest .the out of pocket was for an additional range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Dogon: As far as the "potholes" in Medicare that you mention, one showed up here yesterday in the form of a rather large bill. The real reason that they barrage you with notices before you turn 65 is that they can't wait to pick your pocket to help pay for the folks who can't or won't (who says we don't already have socialized medicine?). Whatever the fine is for not signing up on-time, if you've ever worked for a living it's likely much-less than what they'll be gouging you for, and... for questionable service at best. You actually have to submit a form to be given permission to use other (not government sponsored) insurance. I knew I smelled a rat here. The more I learn about it (Medicare) the less I want to have anything to do with it.

The potholes I've experienced so far are resulting from the cut-over from my old insurance due to how slow the invoicing & billing process is in the medical industry. I started MC July 1 and since then have been getting bills for the full amount sent to me as late as last month which were invoiced back to January that my old insurance denied payment on because I was no longer insured with them. I'm also going through a hassle with MC approval for my CPAP that I've used for a few years now. IMO, it should have been a simple cut-over to MC. MC is now requiring me to do another overnight sleep test before they'll approve paying for something my doctor says I need and sent a prescription to MC for. I'm hoping the road will smooth out once I navigate through these potholes.

On the positive side. Everything I had done medically since July 1 has been paid without any hassles!

Good luck with your MC cut-over!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.