April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 207 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
AndrewB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Fanzoj gives that they were not allowed to make weapons till circa 1955?? And this would have been for a British General, or Officer in my book.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Thanks so much! That's funny that they say they don't make firearms until 1955. I guess my final question is, is it a good gun? I paid $1000 USD for it. Is that a good deal?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fanzoj did not say that they "don't make firearms until 1955". They said that they were not allowed to make weapons til circa 1955. What Fanzoj did between the end of the war in 1945 until the war's allied victors allowed them to begin commercial production of firearms in 1955 is unlikely to be recorded history by the British and their allies for a number of good reasons at the time. For you old guys like me who remember radio it might be said: "....only the Shadow knows."

Last edited by bushveld; 11/29/22 04:22 PM.
1 member likes this: Gunwolf
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushveld is most correct as the occupying force did not allow the manufacture of weapons till much later. Like the Mongrel klan, they aren't allowed knives(an sometimes forks) at the dinner table as they might just stab one another so they eat with a spoon or chopsticks.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is a whale of a deal for a Fanzoj if it works. That repair worries me a bit but others may give it a pass??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AndrewB
As for the rib, Classic Arms in Tennessee did some work to the rib - which I believe has been replaced. I called them describing the work and they thought that it was welded material for reinforcement. I've been told they do quality work on vintage guns so I'm not questioning it - It's a gun I plan on using in the field anyway.

I enlarged the image of the "repair" on the bottom rib and it doesn't resemble any sort of welding I've ever seen. It looks more like a soldering job that didn't go too well, and that some peening of the solder was done. Hard to tell, but I'm guessing the entire short section of rib behind the forend loop may have been missing, and someone decided to just fill the gap with solder. I'm betting that if you were to forward that image to Classic Arms, they likely would not want to take credit for it.

It may not affect anything, and it is hidden under the forend... but I'd want to repair it properly, and check the integrity of the solder joint on the forend loop. It would really suck to be out hunting, and have the forend loop pop loose, and possibly lose it and the forend. Finding replacements would be near impossible. You may find the current Thread on rib relaying interesting.

I'm glad a new guy like you was able to post images here without any apparent problem. Some guys who have been here for years find it to be a daunting or impossible task. A few more pics of the complete gun might make it easier to get an accurate valuation.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Bushveld is most correct as the occupying force did not allow the manufacture of weapons till much later. Like the Mongrel klan, they aren't allowed knives(an sometimes forks) at the dinner table as they might just stab one another so they eat with a spoon or chopsticks.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

I am satisfied that firms like Fanzoj likely build guns during the post war period at the directions of occupying forces for the use of those forces and for others. There had to be all kinds of off the record activities happening.

Last edited by bushveld; 11/30/22 04:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure, there very well may have been records, but Fanzoj doesn't want to own up to them so maybe the Brits have the records? Fanzoj, like most other Ferlach makers, prefer to be known as mechanics to Kings, Lords, Princes, ect. and they may not want to openly admit that they were making Bread Guns for British Military Officers just to get by..... The same happened in Suhl but the Occupying force was of course the Russians. In both instances, the mechanics were using pre-WWII components and about anything they could get their hands on. In Suhl, the Russians took the newer equipment and even pulled up the rail piece by piece as they were leaving. Also leaving functional equipment out in the elements to ravages of time.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were plenty of "cigarette "rifles built for Americans too, mostly in 30-06, using machine gun barrels. Usually, if not always, without proof marks though.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
........ Finding replacements would be near impossible........

Yeah, a Fanzoj forend would run 10k €?? Well, at least 5,000€.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=494957

Some Tonnes / in^2 to PSI Calculus.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.