March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#622334 11/19/22 07:47 PM
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Much like Ted and his Minnesota pheasants, instead of listening to the news (and rest of the shrieking haradans!) I try to keep busy with more-traditional (cis-gendered) pursuits. Processing part of an elk in the garage today (I've got a little time on my hands, & my younger buddy who killed it last Monday doesn't) and slowly filling my truck with the usual materials needed to roll up into the high & lonely to chase ungulates again. Blessed with both an elk and a deer tag this year(!). Picked up my son from collage yesterday and he's very interested in joining-in. He didn't happen to pull a tag this year but his strong back and clear eyes will be a significant asset. I'd picked up a flu-bug just after getting home from the North Country in mid-October and it has taken forever (better part of 4-weeks) to get over the darn thing, but just in the last week I'm feeling myself again so....back at it! So looking forward to having my rifle in my hands and good country to walk in. Counting all my blessings here today.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/19/22 07:50 PM.
4 members like this: Run With The Fox, Parabola, mc, SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
Here's wishing you a great trip and hunt. Stay safe and healthy! Keep posting those pictures.
Karl

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sounds good Lloyd. Have at it!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had my first cold/flu/bug thing in years this fall, after the wife brought it home from the elementary school she teaches at. It knocked her on her ass for five days or so, nothing like that for me, but, it did feature a persistent, snotty, cough. Kid might have had a runny nose for a day.
It did impact hunting season. But, there is plenty of work to do prepping for winter, on mine and my brothers property. Him being in the nursing home has given me another home to care for.
The last of my Father’s deer rifles came to live at my house a few weeks past. They are my brothers, technically, but, truth be told, a double amputee isn’t likely to need them, any time soon. I didn’t want to leave them in the unoccupied house. I have four deer rifles on site, and I think I fired one of them, one time, circa 1981.

I never caught the big game bug. I get it, I just don’t do it.

Give the boy my regards, and you two have safe travels, there and back. I have a to die for chili recipe that calls for elk or antelope, or, better yet, both, but, I haven’t had either in a few years. Made it with moose last time, any of the above makes a fine meal.

Happy trails, Lloyd.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Ted. Have had both the last Covid booster and my flu shot. So far have avoided the bug. A friend who listened to his pharmacist and had both shots on the same day advised not to do that. He ended up with chills alternating with sweats for a couple days.

I'm with you on the big game deal. When I was a kid in Iowa, we didn't have enough deer to hunt, so I didn't grow up pursuing big game. My only experience along those lines: Shot a couple of wild boars in Morocco. Driven hunts organized by tribes in the mountains. Shotguns only over there. I used 00 buck the first time. Discovered that was not a good idea. My first one was a relatively small pig, but those critters have tough hides. Pellets barely penetrated. Went to slugs the 2nd time.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blessings on you and son, Lloyd. Strike while the iron is hot. The days come, for all of us, when because of age related things and various reasons we are more reticent to embark on long, or adverse, hunts. Memories of previous hunts can be with us through those times, however.

I'm considering a 4 day hunt in old Mexico with a friend, for ducks, doves and quail, in January. I will most likely say no to it, tho'. Not because I don't feel able or wouldn't enjoy it, but because of the worry it would cause my wife. Over our lifetime together I have been her rock, not in a bragging way, but because she has depended on me for so much over our lifetime together that she worries more now about what it would be like for her to be left without me. Drug cartels are a real thing in the region we would be going to, and she knows that. After nearly losing me a little over two years ago I just don't want to put her through that worry again, even for a few days. Argentina would be much different, and I'd like to go there again, but Mexico gives us pause.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: David Williamson, builder, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do the natives in Morocco eat the pigs, Larry? When I was in France, the recent immigrants, in addition to not being interested in being Frenchman, learning the French language, and totally uninterested in pursuing typical French pastimes, wanted absolutely nothing to do with the pigs that were overrunning the place. Herve’ hit a 700 pounder, with his car one night a few months before I got there.
Little French cars don’t do so well against big pigs. Nobody got hurt, but, that was luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope it goes well Lloyd- Good Hunting!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah Lloyd, it's a wonderful time of the year. I'm busily trying to wrap up yard work, getting studded snow tires mounted on vehicles, oiling undersides to protect against road salt, and of course, prepping for our deer rifle season opener next weekend. It's supposed to be nice and sunny tomorrow, so I'll go out back to sight in the flintlock and the .45-70.

It was 17 degrees here this morning, not far from your hometown, and the ground had snow cover ... as further proof of global warming. I hear they had around 4 feet of lake effect snow near Buffalo a few days ago. The leaves seemed to drop a bit sooner than usual this year, making visibility in the woods great, but grouse were still very scarce in Venango and Clarion County. However, a buddy told me that they were more plentiful than he's seen in many years in Potter County, so hopefully the population loss is finally turning around. I got a doe tag for 2F, so will probably spend some time hunting in Forest County next week. This is why I save a lot of my vacation time for the end of the year. Happy hunting.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Gentlemen, thank you all!

Ted, you really should join me some time with one of your father's rifles. The high & lonely and a very good rifle were essentially made for each other (the scenery doesn't suck either!) and it's something we should consider while good country remains and moreover...before time sneaks up on us. The beautiful thing about bird hunting is the forgiving nature of it can allow for a long-extended career (well into the 80s for many & perhaps... even further?). The last elk I humped out of the back country was really talking to me at the end of that job and... I know my days are numbered for that sort of experience (very few elk hunters go much past 70-75). Thankfully, deer are far-easier (maybe not quite as easy as feathers?) and I'm hopeful that I've still got some time left for that one. Think about it.

Last November...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/20/22 09:53 PM.
3 members like this: Parabola, Ted Schefelbein, BrentD, Prof
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.