March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#621930 11/13/22 06:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How costly is a broken firing pin? Does the job get any easier/less expensive on a gun with disc-set strikers?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's generally less expensive on disk set strikers because the firing pin is a separate piece from the hammer.

Funny this comes up now because the left firing pin on my wife's Grulla SLE broke Saturday and I'm taking it to our gunsmith tomorrow - he'll try to locate a pin but will most likely have to make one. I have no idea on cost but that's not relevant since it's my wife's favorite gun and my first flight instructor's saying of "if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy" applies. Whatever it costs we'll make mamma happy.

1 member likes this: Snipe Hunter
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It depends if the disc comes out with out a struggle

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I pulled both discs out yesterday. I didn't know if them not having to disassemble the gun made the job easier or if I could just send one striker to be duplicated and do the installation myself. Is there some fitting required that would mandate sending the entire gun or at least the receiver and stock? I do not think I have a gunsmith locally that could do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Find a production machine shop, or a gunsmith, that understands the requirements in quality of steel that a firing pin requires, and have one made to duplicate your other barrel's one. Dimensions are very important, but no big issue for a good machinist.

Re-install it and go kill snipe. You got the discs and the strikers out, you can do this.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I often use Remington 1100 firing pins cut to proper size

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...emington+1100+firing+pin&_sacat=7301

Last edited by skeettx; 11/14/22 01:10 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Stanton,
If you send me the pin you need I can make you one or more.

2 members like this: Snipe Hunter, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very generous of you, but it is Skip (Snipe Hunter) that needs it. Maybe he will see this and contact you.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by skeettx
I often use Remington 1100 firing pins cut to proper size

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...emington+1100+firing+pin&_sacat=7301

Since the OP hasn't told us what make and model of shotgun this is, it is hard to say if a Remington 1100 firing pin could be modified to fit.

I would advise Snipe Hunter to tell us what make and model of shotgun he has, and to provide a pic of the broken firing pin pieces if possible. I have found original firing pins from sources such as Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.) and other parts dealers. I see various firing pins quite often on Ebay. Gun shows are also often a source for firing pins that are correct, or could be modified to fit. Someone here might even have spare pins from a parts gun. However, having a firing pin custom made will likely be the most expensive option.

But as Stan says, making a firing pin for most doubles is not very difficult for any gunsmith or machinist who can operate a small lathe, and knows how to harden and draw a piece of common oil hardening O-1 drill rod. The first firing pin I ever made broke on the first shot because I drew the temper to light straw color, and the tip end was too brittle. Since then, purple or blue has worked well for me when using 0-1. Some people say that using a grade 8 bolt for material works well, as it is tough enough for most firing pins without subsequent heat treatment, but I have not tried this yet. It would be nice to have both broken pieces to be able to make it the correct length the first time. And it should be noted that the discs will probably not be interchangeable from right to left, so they should be marked upon removal.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

3 members like this: Snipe Hunter, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is a $350 1970's era gun made by Jose Uriguen in Spain. If I didn't like to carry it on rainy days and shoot it so darn well I'd just toss it in the back of a safe and forget about it.

[Linked Image from thesnipe.startlogic.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.