April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Weber, PALUNC, Jerry G, FelixD, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,725
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
The piece to worry about is the cocking rod plunger. A little wear, and gun won’t cock.

A thing using one heavily will manifest for you.

Someone was making replacements, I got a couple 12-15 years ago. If I can find the info I'll post it here but it's in the DGS archives.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Diamond makes them. They need polishing and hardening. So, they become a 200$+ repair on a sticky $400.00 gun.
I have a couple here.
I was just informing the OP about real life shooting a Flues in vintage shoots.
They aren’t a 200 rounds a week gun.
So you practice with a Dickinson, and shoot the Flues at the event.

Or, just send another to the recycler.

Out there doing it best I can.
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot my grandpa’s 1915 16 gauge Flues a bit. I had the head of the stock glass bedded, which I do to all the shotguns I keep. This will give 100% contact between the stock and receiver making it much less likely to crack. I also shoot modest reloads at 1200fps in this gun. A few are 7/8oz, but most are 3/4oz. I like my Flues because it’s a family gun, but it does shoot and handle well. I just treat it gently. I have other sxs guns for pounding targets.

Last edited by JNW; 11/06/22 08:52 PM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
1 member likes this: Tamid
claydog Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi guys. So I picked up the Flues. As I think I mentioned in a prior post, the entire action body, including triggers, guard, opening lever is partially black and partially just bare steel. I am assuming that somebody at some point painted it and it’s just flaking off but was wondering if that is true. Isn’t this supposed to just be all bare metal for lack of a better term

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple pictures will reveal all, if you don’t have a separate photo hosting site, you can probably email a couple pictures to just about any member here, and they will post them for you.

When you say black, I start to think oxides. But, I know of no Flues models that were not case colored.
So, if there is black stuff flaking off the action, I am thinking old, hardened oil, or preservative.

I would expect black paint on the stock as well if it were painted.

Typically, original equipment Ithaca barrels were a very dark gray or black color, but I have never had any that flaked.

There hasn’t been an Ithaca thread on this site with any pictures in a long time, and I view the Flues as a seminal model. So maybe, now is the time to revisit the Ithaca Flues.

Ask away.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 11/09/22 12:20 PM.

Out there doing it best I can.
claydog Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well I had this all checked out by Diamond gunsmithing in Ithaca. They were very thorough and the guy there ( Les ) said it was a solid gun. Although he did say ‘ah, who the heck painted it’. 😀. Chambers checked out at 2 3/4. I found a nice load for it using Titewad, and 7/8 oz on Hogdon site. I just shot 2 rounds with it last weekend and was quite pleased with it. I really like the gun a lot! It fits me well and handles quite nice. I’m still gonna baby it and shoot it sparingly. But I know already that I’ll want to shoot it a lot more than I’ll be able to. 😀. Thanks to all for the help and info.

claydog Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey folks,
I've uploaded 3 pics of the painted receiver etc.
Here is the link:

https://link.shutterfly.com/yj9tCytQcxb

The paint is not adhered very well. As you'll see from the pictures its' coming off.
I can pick at it with my finger nail where it smooth and it does come off.

Looking for any suggestions on how I might best and safely remove this? Especially from the engraving etc.
I don't want to take it apart unless I absolutely have to smile
I was thinking of a non MC paint stripper for the areas not near the wood. But I'm really not sure?
Thx in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

go back to les and ask him to remove paint; and then inspect and lube gun...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Up to 1915 the Ithaca No. 1 1/2 was a Damascus barrel gun with a basic frame, later years with a bit of zig-zag border engraving.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

During 1915, Ithaca introduced the bold McGraw engraving across their line and dressed up the No. 1 1/2 with the bold floral engraving --

and added the option of Krupp barrels. Over the next five years virtually every Ithaca catalog showed changes to these entry-level Ithacas, as they phased out Damascus and Twist barrels. The No. 1 Special that had been made with Cockerill Steel barrels was dropped. The zig-zag border engraving began appearing on the No. 1 and the Twist barrels that had been a feature of the No. 1 were replaced with Nitro Steel barrels --

Finally, by late 1919 the No. 1 and No. 1 1/2 were combined as the New No. 1 --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Going back to your first post: You'll note from Doc Drew's and Researcher's posts that a 1 1/2 grade isn't a Field Grade. It's a couple steps up the ladder.

Good luck with your Flues. My very first American classic double was a 16ga Flues Field Grade. I only had 2 sxs back then. When #1 (a between the wars Sauer) broke down, my Flues temporarily became my bird hunting gun. The problem I had was that the stock had too much drop. When I'd mount the gun, I couldn't see the sight. As a result, I didn't hit much. But never had any mechanical issues with it. Shooting it at clay targets and calling for the bird with the gun mounted may allow you to compensate for a stock with too much drop . . . unless it's WAY off as far as fit goes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.