March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, SKB, Argo44, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll will get back to your Mr. Hallquist on this as I am having so much fun with this one.....

But if any one really believes in the wares Fred Adolph peddled, submit it to Lock, Stock & Barrel's Gunbroker auction, which is a penny(1¢) and watch it fly. LSB has been doing well and they seem to have the pulse of auctioning firearms thru their RV tour across the U.S. of A. program.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just have to make the statement that Fred Adolph and Otto Reif must have been cousins, Brother-In-Laws, some relation...... as their modus operandi was parallel to infinity and beyond. But old Racecar Driver Otto Rief was tarred and feathered and run out on a rail for doing the same thing in Suhl, Germany. In Adoph's many sundry occupations, I just don't recall him being a Racecar Driver, but apparently he did land up driving a FORD?? Close enough huh??? When one thinks of Otto Reif, think of Fred Adolph......

Serbus,

Raimey

rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems the only thing you're leaving out are the claims of him being a german agent and his plots to blow up bridges. Do you also suspect him to be a foreign agent?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come now Raimey, don't mince words. Just come out and tell us what you really think. laugh

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvas-Back:

I was trying so hard to be politically correct, just for you, our Best Mate on the Northern Border.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: canvasback
TDH Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I very much appreciate the knowledge and wisdom you all are sharing on this thread. It’s a steep but extremely interesting learning curve for me. The makers’ complicated historical background and Fred Adolph’s checkered career path seem to contribute to rather than detract from the intrigue of this particular gun.

Raimey, Daryl, Mike (and Michael Petrov), thank you. Your knowledge of the background and commentary on questions regarding the origins of the components and craftsmanship effect its perception as an American gun and begin to define it perhaps more accurately as a German gun. Your input helps to clarify the significance of Fred Adolph’s guns in general.

Stephen Howell, you hit the nail on the head. I need to determine the significance of this particular piece. Thank you for directly addressing my original mission of sorting out the identity, significance, quality and value of this unique gun. I too was intrigued/perplexed by the “desert fox” motif. (the palm trees made me think it was intended for someone in South Carolina.) And I’m still very curious about the gold “WBS” monogram on the trigger guard. (does anyone know if there exists a file on clients he sold to?)

I have more detail photos but I’ll need to find a qualified person to assess the balance, weight, bore condition, chamber details and trigger functionality as you mentioned. Unfortunately I am in Oregon now and the gun is in Virginia.

Raimey if you are able to get me an email address for Wolfgang von Braushitsch in Germany I would very much appreciate it and will contact him as well. I’ve talked to an auction house and an appraiser in the US but it definitely seems worth investigating the international market if that’s where it’s German roots would be most appreciated and valued.

As I’m helping my brother-in-law and family settle their father’s estate my responsibility is to find an appropriate venue for selling this gun at the best price they can get. But personally I feel motivated to investigate it thoroughly to determine if it has unrecognized significance after having been safely tucked away in a closet for 50 to 100 years. I also feel obliged to respect it and see that it finds a proper new home where it will be fully appreciated.

Again, thanks. You guys are very cool. Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim; I spelled Wolfgang's surname incorrectly. It is Brauchitsch. Further since the gun is in Virginia I suggest that you take it down to gunsmith Gunter Pfrommer in Rocky Mount, Virginia and ask him to check it out. He should also have numerous German and Austrian contacts that may be helpful to you.

Wolfgang; I apologize for the incorrect spelling of your surname, please forgive me.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 11/05/22 07:47 PM.
1 member likes this: TDH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Um, Wolfgang should cycle thru but I will push him thru tomorrow. But the international market, less maybe Russia which probably isn't a possibility, typically brings less and since the subject longarm is Fred Adolph badged, the U.S. of A. is the Best market. In Germany guns fetch 1/2 or less and then to import it will add say an additional $1k.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too, if you could pleasure us with additional fotos of any marks, like the water-table & buttplate, we might add some info??

Does it have a menacing muzzle??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey;

It has been more than a decade since I lived in South Africa and the UK--- it is disappointing to hear from your viewpoint that the international gun market has turned upside down. My friend the famed South African gun expert and sporting writer Dr. Lucas Potgieter (Die Kruitvat gunshop near Joburg) would be able to tell us in a heartbeat what this gun would bring to the well heeled sportsmen down in the Cape and who was the person who would buy it, but alas he has passed on. However, Wolfgang's view is welcomed.

Regards;
Stephen Howell

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.