April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 426 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yeah, Adalbert Wolf of Zella - Mehlis easily could have performed the tube work as he, or his family, had been stroking tubes since 1879.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred Adolph began his business of importing nice German guns and marketing them under his own name before WW1. He depended, in large part, on the endorsement of well-known and even famous customers. This was an often-used method of advertisement going back to before the Civil War, and Colt. These practices may be frowned upon now but were common and accepted then. The quality of the work was never in question because of them. When WW1 began, and especially after we became involved in it, there was a lot of anti-German feeling and rejection of many things-German, even changing German spelling of family names to the English version, such as Mueller to Miller or Battenberg to Mountbatten. In this environment, it is understandable that Adolph may have encountered some customer's reluctance to pay. Also, the war naturally affected his ability to deliver prior orders or make new ones. It seems that he tried with some success to reestablish his former business after the war but didn't do as well as before. With regard to the lack of proof marks on the gun in question, German law required guns sold in Germany (and German possessions) be properly proofed under the German proof provisions. Guns exported to other countries were subject to the proof laws of the country into which they were (and are) imported. The US did not (and does not) have a mandatory proof law, depending instead upon civil liability laws to ensure safety. Since they were not required, had to be paid for, and considered ugly by some; it is more likely that proof marks were not applied, than they were removed. Richard Hummel, former editor of the German Gun collectors Association's publications wrote an article about another Fred Adloph gun in one of the issues of Double Gun Journal, which includer a goodly amount of information about Adolph himself. If I can, I will try to find out which issue it is in.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Oh yeah, Adalbert Wolf of Zella - Mehlis easily could have performed the tube work as he, or his family, had been stroking tubes since 1879.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Raimey;

I am sending you a PM.

Stephen Howell

TDH Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

THANKS Raimey. I added my one other photo of the top of the barrels. I regret to say that I didn't get shots of the ejector gun and other internal details while I was there with the gun. Thanks for all your knowledge. Ultimately we're trying to find the gun a new owner and need to figure out the best way to do that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ford:

I concur with Adolph's modell but I just have low regards for him as I think the was purely deceitful, and stretched the Truth till it broke. He was just dishonest & and I do not think he to have been that good of a mechanic. His upper rung wares were from the hands & backs of the most talented mechanics in Suhl & Zella-Mehlis. Those are the bona fide craftsmen. And another punch: Adolph sourced the Zella - Mehlis mechanics because they were cheaper and he could pad his pocket.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,
He is not my favorite either, read between the lines regarding the endorsements. Charles Daley's wares were from the hands and backs of the talented craftsmen in Suhl also. I think, from Dick's article that he was mostly a stockmaker. Still, his business model was common then and now.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ir is a bit hard to say that Adolph depended on oversea work like Daly. Kornbrath engraved Adolph guns on this side of the world and apparently Adolph was quite a stocker at one point. Adolph. Used Springfields for some of his custom rifles. Is there evidence that he sent those overseas for completion ?

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/04/22 08:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I don't think he sent them across the Pond but Springfields along with Mausers are quite modular and since the platform already exists, add a barrel along with adornment. Adolph may have been a mechanic of merit @ one point but I would hasten to wager the chicken scratching on the forend is of his hand? Yes, He may have added some Wood but I think that was to the extent of his abilities. Adolph's whole life is a sordid tale and I for one think he was something of a con-man??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

His whole life was sordid and you figure him a conman, Care to elaborate on either of those points? I have read something similar but it hardly seemed credible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bottom line....what is the gun worth ?

Being German made is not a plus in price.

1 member likes this: TDH
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.