April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Chad Linder, ClapperZapper, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,065
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#621201 10/26/22 12:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Been thinking about downsizing my double gun collection for easier maintenance and upkeeping. It takes a lot of work to keep them all in good shape yet some have not been shot for +10 years.

My question, gentlemen, is do you feel that now is a good time to sell, or should I wait for inflation to slow down before I consider selling? I fear that if I sell now the dollars I get will be worth less soon, but on the other hand I don't want to wait only to find that the economic crunch has severely reduced the pool of potential buyers.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just sold a decent rebarreled Tolley SLE. Even priced cheaply IMO, it took a few months to move. On the flipside, it wasn't something super unique, rare, or in exceptional original condition.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...;Words=tolley&Search=true#Post609073

Wouldn't call it a hot market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nitro, much depends on what you have and condition...

between august and january is the best time to sell doubleguns...

and inflation is not usualy temporary...

Last edited by ed good; 10/26/22 01:33 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good guns always sell, especially small bores. But getting close to Christmas and people are slowing their purchases

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the local So Cal auction houses runs about six auctions a year and claims to be getting way over estimate for good guns that are pretty common. Of course they keep 25% of the sale, but they do move a lot of merchandise, averaging 500 lots per auction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I did a short stint in real estate. We always told the customers it was always a great time to buy, also a great time to sell. Never a bad time.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Barring some sort of ban threat (lead or ARs for example) guns bought at good prices tend to at least hold their value, rising with inflation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can not time the gun market any more than the stock market in my opinion. Select the ones you want to sell and either list them fairly priced and hope for a buyer to come along or send them to the auction house and sell them that way. In the past I have sent about 70 guns to Gunrunner in lots of 10-15 at a time. All low graded gun or field guns in good but not pristine conditions. All but half a dozen sold for what I thought was the right price. Of the six I thought four went way to cheap and two went way, way to high.

I have been thinking about sending another group of 20 up for sale in two lots and perhaps sending a few better guns to LS&B. The only reason I have not done this already is that there is nothing right now I want to buy so do not have much motivation to sell a few off. If I buy a decent cased pair of gun from the next Holt's Auction I might need to move a few guns. Right now there are three that appeal to me but nothing that I just must buy or my day is ruined type interest. I think with the economic unrest there might be a leveling off of mid graded guns or even a decrease in price. I see a lot of pairs which were in the 7-10,000 pound price range which are estimated in the 4-6,000 pound range. If the market is dropping off I might find a decent pair for my limited budget.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have several things that I'd like to move on as well, but the "economic uncertainty" of the moment has me pondering how to proceed. I believe that once this next election cycle has concluded, we'll have a better sense of what we'll be faced with in the near term.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have been selling some guns through penny auctions over on Gunbroker and have been pleasantly surprised. You know they are going to move and my experience has been that most have met or exceeded my expectations on price making up for any I felt should have sold for more. I have had a very strong year selling guns and demand does not yet seemed to have cooled. There will be plenty more SxS's hitting the market here due to the steel shot mandate in the UK and my feeling is that in the long run the price will continue to soften on mid-grade and below guns while really top notch stuff will hold its value or loose only a small amount. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.