April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, Mark II, 1 invisible), 459 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#621093 10/24/22 09:42 AM
TCN Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

After some research, I selected a Negrini compact case to fly across the pond with a rather nice lightweight SxS. I will also use the Negrini canvas cover; any other things I should do? Additional padding inside or put the whole thing in a corrugated box w/handles?

"More important, we hoped that when Autumn came, the birds would fly"

-Guy De La Valdene
Sidelock
Sidelock

Negrini cases are tough as nails and will protect your gun from being damaged. The cover will protect the outer surface from being scratched if thats what you want. Some type of cover to protect the cover to protect the gun is getting a little obseseve ? unless you want to disguise the gun which will fool No one who will be handling the gun in transit.

TCN Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I was viewing a box more as additional insulation in the event of a drop onto concrete from about four or five feet up (which, per the case manufacturer who repaired it, is what shattered the corner of my suitcase on a trip last year).

I was thinking the cover would assist in keeping the case from popping open (wholly or partially).

Last edited by TCN; 10/24/22 11:42 AM.

-Guy De La Valdene
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an aluminum case that will competently transport two double guns broken down into sleeves. It has two set-number locks and two more-conventional closures. It fits inside the zippered bottom on a wheeled duffle that completely conceals it's contents (and it's function) from all but the most attentive eyes. I have used it for many years now, flying guns back and forth across this country. The knock on the duffel is that it will hold much more than the 50-lbs that you're now allowed by the airlines in this country (before they hit you with an upcharge), so the top half is almost never full (I keep the requisite boxes of ammo in the top as well). I bought the whole setup from Cabela's about 20-years ago now (back in the good old days of their operation).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A gun case that looks like a gun case is inviting trouble IMHO. The frame and minor padding provided by the wheeled-duffel has protected the aluminum case to the point where it still looks almost new (and it is by-no-means all that substantial). I declare the guns upon check-in and open it up for the airline folks to inspect (they always ask "is it loaded?" as I show them the various sections...Lord help us!), they then direct it to TSA for further screening. After it has been run through the gamma ray device (or whatever that lumbering thing is), I have the TSA folks spin the locks on the gun-case part and then zip everything up. Because it doesn't look suspicious, I almost always pick it up on the regular carousel with the rest of my luggage at my destination.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/25/22 06:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have that same Cabela's rolling duffel. I too have used it many times with also a Cabela's aluminum case in the bottom compartment. But, like you mentioned, the up charge for an overweight bag has made this pretty near impractical now.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have an old Anvil aluminum case originally made for a key board, but I added foam and it's great for a travel gun case. It's pretty much indestructible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pelican case.

TCN Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Pelican case.

Pelicans are the gold standard for protection, but they’re just so big and bulky.

-Guy De La Valdene
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perry:

I have a matching, smaller duffle (that I bought at the same time). It fits in the top section and I take it out upon my arrival at the gate to keep the weight issue controlled. I either check it or carry it on. Between the two, I have enough room for all my cloths, boots, vests, hats, guns, ammo, etc. Enough anyway for a long weekend (or longer) of tromping through the woods in the North Country. I also tend to stockpile a few items up there at the house that simplifies the process just a little.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/26/22 10:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd3, is the gun case part of this case separate from your underwear? A friend had a similar case some years ago and had to go through his underwear in order to show the airline inspectors his guns. It was a nightmare at the check-in counter. Tell us about yours. I am still using heavy aluminum Nasco and Aries cases to fly. No problems in more than 20 years. I have installed wheels and a pushing handle on my two gun Aries case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.