March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 888 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#619670 09/22/22 05:30 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had a chance to buy a 10K pack of Nobel Sport Italia #688 primers recently.

My concern was that they would pierce like Cheddite, and/or fail to properly ignite Titewad like Fiocchi 616.

I'm happy to report that they do neither. Note this is the 688, not the 686 which I have not tried and likely will never try.

These have been tried in several guns including a CXS Citori with a J&P mainspring and firing pin kit installed. That gun has a 100% pierce rate with Cheddite, 20% with Fiocchi, and 0% with W209. The NSI 688 is also 0%.

As far as loads, you're on your own like I am. I simply swap for W209 in loads that are advertised at or below 10K PSI. This is not a recommendation, just a statement of what I consider safe in my MODERN TARGET GUNS.

I intend to support this vendor and encourage him to keep bringing in NSI products. I also bought several flats of their trap loads and they are of high quality and squeaky clean burning.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never had an issue with pierced Cheddite primers but others have. I’ve always thought it’s because of firing pin length. Do the Nobel primers stretch the primer pocket?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They do, much like a Fio 616.

No matter to me, they load fine and I dedicate a batch of hulls to this primer.

The Cheddite piercing problem as far as I'm concerned is because of a too thin cap cover.

The W209 does not do this.

I will say this... the Cheddite primer is a very sensitive primer. I set one off in a MEC 650.

If you have an old gun with a tired mainspring, they might be just the thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Been loading Cheddite primers for over 10 years. Never a pierced one, in several modern and vintage guns.

Mine are all salvaged out of scrapped Cheddite hulls I acquired. May or may not be the same as those one would buy for reloading.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Been loading Cheddite primers for over 10 years. Never a pierced one, in several modern and vintage guns.

Mine are all salvaged out of scrapped Cheddite hulls I acquired. May or may not be the same as those one would buy for reloading.

That could very well be Stan.

The 'white box' Estate shells of a few years back were loaded in France by Cheddite.

They did not pierce. Their component primer seems different than the ones in their loaded shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was given a big cardboard box containing thousands of new Kent hulls that had been pulled from the assembly line during, or after, the loading process. They all had been cut open to salvage the shot. All had new primers which I salvaged. Somehow, they had been sent to a range owner I knew, during a delivery of clay targets.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot 10's of thousands (over 100,000) NSI 209-688 primers. Never had a pierced primer as mentioned. I've been 100% happy with them.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dukxdog
I've shot 10's of thousands (over 100,000) NSI 209-688 primers. Never had a pierced primer as mentioned. I've been 100% happy with them.

Thanks for the good report. That's a lot of shooting!

Opinions vary on these, but so far I've been pleased.

The 1,000 count trays are a bit of a nuisance, all I can figure is that these are packaged for commercial loading machines. Following a u-toob video I made a block with a refrigerator magnet on it and solved that problem. Now, I just wish I'd saved a few more empty primer trays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot thousands of Cheddite primers in dozens of guns (all doubles, mostly sxs. Some modern, some vintage.) Can't recall a single pierced primer.
The best thing about them now is that they're relatively available. And the price has come down recently. Still a long ways from the days of $25 or so per brick. But realistically, I doubt we'll ever see that again.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/24/22 06:19 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update: I loaded the NSI 688 in 20ga AA shells for a K-20 that has cratered firing pins.

This gun pierces every brand primer except W209. I'm running out of W209, and the gun is not going in for new pins until I can't find primers it won't pierce.

A rant about Krieghoff firing pins is not germane to this post... other than to say they can't make a firing pin to save their arsch.

The NSI primers do not pierce in said krautgun.

W209 is now $92/brick when they can be found. NSI is about 4.5 cents a cap, which while still absurd can be considered a bargain today.

I fully support this product and Winchester can kiss my shiny nickel plated floorplate.

1 member likes this: eeb
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.