March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#619486 09/19/22 06:35 PM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

over the years, many thousands of pre ww2 double guns were made with chambers less than 2 3/4", which is the standard length for most shotgun shells these days...

have noticed that if gun with lengthen chambers is of english make, then some here make a big deal about it...

why is that? so long as there is sufficent metal left in front of the chambers for safe shooting, what difference does it make?

Last edited by ed good; 09/21/22 02:08 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't like it, there are pens that can touch 'em up? Just kidding Ed, if 2 3/4" is good, three is better? Is it worth closing the sale by saying, and you can get shells for it at wallymart?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, if you haven’t noticed yet, originality is prized among collectors of vintage guns. None more so than American collectors of American makes. Lengthening the chambers is messing with originality, regardless of being safe or not. It’s not any more complicated than that and the quest for originality covers all aspects of the gun, not just the chambers.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Why lengthen the chambers if you can shoot 2 3/4" low pressure shells out of a 2 1/2" chamber? Per these two threads and Sherman Bell's articles, there is not that much pressure increase.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=34376
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1983

On the other hand, an acquaintance who was close to the late Cyril Adams had this happen to him after he lengthened chambers from 2 1/2" to 2 3/4".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

He had this to say: "I bought the gun for me as it is a non rebounder. I did not have it proofed because I never intended to sell it. When it arrived I observed that the chambers were very thin compared to most. I recut the chambers to 2 3/4. I only shot light 28g shells through it and it performed flawlessly for over 500 rounds. I was preparing for the Adam’s cup and could only find 1145fps 32g loads. It let loose after the 15th one."

Last edited by Argo44; 09/19/22 07:57 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just lengthened a GECO Belgium gun to 2.75, I also opened the chokes to Skeet/IC
It is my gun, for me to shoot, and if I hurt the value, that is OK to me,
The chambers are stout.

I do load 2.5 inch 16 gauge ammo, for my old Kreighoff drilling and my Win Model 12s
but I have flats upon flats of 2 3/4 ammo.
I am happy

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 09/19/22 08:00 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the subsequent purchaser argument put forth previously. I once owned a hammer gun proved as a 12 with 2 3/4 chambers and then successively enlarged to 10 bore with 2 7/8 chambers, presumably by various generations of American gunsmiths. The guy I bought it from was insistent it was a 10 and did not believe it had started life as a 12. When I sold it, it was only with full disclosure of the modifications.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most French guns have stout chambers and muzzle wall thickness. While you should always measure (Gene’s anecdote about a guy who KNEW the chambers were thin, and lengthened them anyway, demonstrates that not everyone who has gun smith tools should be allowed to use them) it has been a long time since I measured a French gun with less than .050 wall thickness, and a bunch of metal in the chamber/forcing cone area.
If you find that, you could certainly consider lengthening the cones, or, the chambers, or both. I’ve done it, told people to do it, and, sometimes just not done it, even though I think I could. Depends on the gun and the use it is going to get. I have a single, French, 2 1/2” 12 that I am using as is, mostly because there is a flat or so of 2 1/2” stuff on the shelf, and I intend to chase pheasants in the cold with it. That, and I’m cheap, and hope that 2 1/2” ammunition returns before I’m dead.

Might not, though. We will see.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too easy to find proper loads on the internet or roll them yourself. And as we have covered many times it is not how long but how high pressure they are that is important. A 600Jr and a hundred dollars of stuff will make a lot of proper loads for shorter chambered guns. So why ream them out and hope they still have enough metal to shoot too high pressure loads?

1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

"When I sold it, it was only with full disclosure of the modifications.'

I'm sure Ed is really at heart a fine man. He has a melodious voice and can sell stuff. Sorry though, I don't believe that statement.

On the other hand, when we were in the middle of the Covid supply issue crisis I bought a flat of old 2 3/4" low pressure Federal shells. I intended to use them in my French 1926 SxS...lots of barrel thickness, choked at .024, .024. I was tempted to try them in the Damascus Reilly but decided to wait. The issue is still not resolved in my mind and I've read the DBS lines and others. I'd still prefer to shoot 2 3/4" low pressure shells out of a 2 1/2" chambered gun than rechambering it.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Too easy to find proper loads on the internet or roll them yourself. And as we have covered many times it is not how long but how high pressure they are that is important. A 600Jr and a hundred dollars of stuff will make a lot of proper loads for shorter chambered guns. So why ream them out and hope they still have enough metal to shoot too high pressure loads?

Agreed, completely. And, it underscores the obvious ............. Ed cannot help but rehash old subjects that he is too lazy to do a search for.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.