April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, SKB, KDGJ, 2 invisible), 971 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
2-piper #49640 07/24/07 10:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to rain on your parade... but... a quick Google of 'explosive license' brings up some DOJ material that appears to indicate that 'manufacturers' of BP require a federal explosives license.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
2-piper #49643 07/24/07 10:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harpoons and line throwing for breeches buoy must require really slow stuff. Does the F stand for "fine"? And then finer, superfine, superduperfine?

jack

2-piper #49644 07/24/07 10:26 PM
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a fairly recent book, 'Black Powder Manufacturing, Testing & Optimizing' [2003] by Ian von Maltitz that covers the whole of small scale BP issues. I believe it contains some granulation charts as well. You may be able to source it through Dave Webber, but you'd have to ask him about that .. I know Dave can get some books.

I also made a request of Royal Powder Mills in England to send a chart if they would. They are an active maker of back powder with a long history and an active educational programme. It will be interesting to see how closely it matches Miller's chart if they respond & I think they shall.

I'm not a BP shooter personally, but find the subject of interest .. and also strongly agree w/JT's early admonitions.

edit: Shotgun's remark is also something that I see ref'd when reading BP articles hither & yond on the web. The firecracker crowd is into BP also and much in tune with staying between the lines .. and there are rules and regs regarding BP

Last edited by tw; 07/24/07 10:32 PM.
tw #49670 07/25/07 05:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also I have found very interesting article about different BP's including Brown one in very old Russian magazine. I got scans, but not ready to traslate it

Geno.
2-piper #49672 07/25/07 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Big Al;
From an old NRA Handloaders Guide; Screen opening for DuPont sporting BP;
Screen Opening (square mesh)
Powder
designation--Pass----Hold
Whaling ----.4410"--.1560"
Life Saving-.1310"--.0650"
FG ---------.0689"--.0582"
FFG --------.0582"--.0376"
FFFG -------.0376"--.0170"
FFFFG -----.0170"--.0111"
Note that not all companies used the same standards.

Many, Many thanks for the above information, that was exactly what I was after.

As to a licence for the manufacturer of black powder, I have no intention of manufacturing black powder, I plan on making black powder for my own use. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I have seen a number of harpoon guns both old and new. They are all vary heavy as they launch a vary heavy projectile and need to be heavy! The reason for canon powder being so much larger than what we would use is to generate more pressure for the heavy projectile.

tw: I found the book on abe's site and will get an order out, thank you.

BIG AL #49692 07/25/07 08:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting discussion. BTW, byZed and others, "stale" is an old word for urine (As in "the mare stood and staled.") Saltpeter is derived from urine by removing the water, either by letting it evaporate or by boiling it off. So you could get saltpeter by putting "stale" in a flat pan in the sun and letting it get stale, so to speak.

I remember during the Korean War reading (I was about nine) about the revolt of North Korean and Chinese POWs on a prison island off the coast of Korea. They made crude guns and bombs powered by home-made black powder, using the "stale urine" method. Don't know where they got the sulphur. Hell of a mess for a while.

In the "more things change the more they get the same" dept., I recently read of a local kid injured by a rock in an IED explosion in Iraq. I then remembered one of our manuals in ROTC showing how to make a "rock fougasse" (sp?) out of any military or engineering explosive and stones, basically a roadside bomb using rocks for shrapnel. (As a lifer friend of mine in the 1960s once said to me: "Killing people is so easy. What's REALLY hard is living with 'em.")

Originally Posted By: Mike Armstrong
BTW, byZed and others, "stale" is an old word for urine (As in "the mare stood and staled.")

That's interesting, I can't find a reference as clear as stated above, but OED does give the origin of stale as "...describing beer in the sense of 'clear from long standing' ". So I read "stale urine" to mean "old, stinking rancid urine", when "settled urine" or "urine that has done set awhile" is probably more faithful to the old meaning you refer to.
...and as for the flat pan in the sun, my kids think I'm a little strange already, so if it doesn't work hidden under the porch, I'll have to settle for store-bought saltpeter.

bvZed #49931 07/26/07 01:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

No permits needed to make BP or any other pyro mixture as long as it is NOT IN COMMERCE. 3,000 amateur pyros will be in Fargo, ND next month for competition in homemade shells, rockets, comets, tourbillions, mines, etc. The Grand Public Display on the 10th will be a sight to behold as usual!

#49954 07/26/07 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal
No permits needed to make BP or any other pyro mixture as long as it is NOT IN COMMERCE. 3,000 amateur pyros will be in Fargo, ND next month for competition in homemade shells, rockets, comets, tourbillions, mines, etc. The Grand Public Display on the 10th will be a sight to behold as usual!

It is amazing to me that the brainwashed illiterate public who will believe just about anything will read your post and think you are wrong. This is why I tell people to home school their children.

BIG AL #49971 07/26/07 04:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That may be re: the amateur pyrotechnists but how does that reconcile with gov't regs that limit a powder charge in a hommade shell so it doesn't become a destructive device? Sounds like a fine line to walk in today's culture. How do the authorities know it's an amateur pyro versus someone bent on ill?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.