March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Understand, the moment you set foot in the ocean, you become part of the food chain.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Understand, the moment you set foot in the ocean, you become part of the food chain.
JR

JR, I was at Panama Beach, FL when I first watched the "Jaws" movie. We had spent a few days before sailing in the bay and out into the Gulf. I haven't been a beach guy since.
Jaws scared the begeebers out of me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife used to tell me that there were freshwater sharks in Lake Nicaragua, which fronts the town she grew up in. She also said that occasionally there would be a body part or two they'd find washed up on the beach and attribute it to someone that had probably been drinking too much and was frolicking in the water at night! I jokingly would give her some guff about not being any freshwater sharks, but in reality, I figured it could be true!

5-6 years after we were married we traveled to S Florida from AK to do the tourist thing and I believe it was Sea World where they had a tank with some sharks and some information plaques outside the tank, with some information on the freshwater sharks in Lake Nicaragua. It indicated that they were more than likely bull sharks that had swam up the river that flows between Nicaragua and Costa Rica that flows out of the Lake. Of course, she had to rub it in, that what she'd been telling me was true and it took some of the fun away from me jokingly calling BS on her freshwater shark stories!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
George, the reason that I am so curious about the bull shark attacks early in the last century, was because it started a national panic to the detriment of all sharks.

Critters that have to be 40 years old before they start laying eggs, are really impacted when we take an attitude toward them.

Bull sharks make their living in exactly the same place that people like to frolic in and have fun. And they bite.
That’s just the way it is.

I agree with this. I have SCUBA dove with a few sizeable sharks and they were fine. Very rare for them to take interest in people outside of the occasional case of mistaken identity. I assume the case is the same with bull sharks in murky water, but really you shouldn't be in murky water anyway because of things like high E Coli content, or god knows what else is in the Mississippi in terms of agricultural runoff and other pollution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clapper Zapper, you might be thinking about a Great White that killed several people in Atlantic City NJ and a ways up a river there in the early 1916. There is a book and a movie about it called 12 Days of Terror. It's a good book, never saw the movie. Wiki article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_shark_attacks_of_1916

Last edited by Lawrence Kotchek; 08/23/22 07:55 PM.
1 member likes this: Tom Findrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking that was a great white , having read a story about it about 40 years ago.
I think the nets were a feature of that recounting.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

Found it!
The basis for the book “Jaws”
Mattawan, NJ

https://yesterdaysamerica.com/matawan-shark-attack-a-deadly-day-in-1916/

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
George, the reason that I am so curious about the bull shark attacks early in the last century, was because it started a national panic to the detriment of all sharks.

Critters that have to be 40 years old before they start laying eggs, are really impacted when we take an attitude toward them.

Bull sharks are viviparous, which means that like most sharks, they give birth to live young rather than laying eggs. And the biggest threat to bull sharks is pollution, not a backlash due to shark attacks. This is getting as bad as the unfounded notions that small bore Ithaca Flues are prone to frame cracking... just to stray on-topic for a moment...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.