April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Rick W, fullandfuller, Argo44, R. Glenz, JDH, Stanton Hillis), 404 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,797
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
vh20 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw two stories on Fox News today that indicated that environmentalists are pushing to get lead bullets outlawed in California. Their claim is that the condor population is endangered by eating carrion containing a lead bullet or lead pellets. Therefore, the "solution" is to ban all lead of any kind for hunting of any kind. I'm unclear as to how far this push has progressed, but my impression was that it was being given serious thought for becoming a reality. Anyone in California know more of the details? It seems the new frontier for gun control is steadily shifting away from 2nd Ammendment rights and towards making ammunition impossible to get or use.

Last edited by vh20; 07/19/07 07:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I honestly feel sorry for anyone who has to live in the land of fruits and nuts. I haven't see this article but can just imagine a Condor soaring around in the sky looking for expended lead bullets to swallow in order the to ensure its early demise.
BTW: The wackos that forced the closure of the Skeet and Trap club that used to be on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago in that lovely State of Illinois while I was still existing there were wrong. Subsequent tests have shown they were full of you know what. The lead expended over the years had sunk so far in the muck that they were dead wrong on this contamination issue of lake Michigan and that it didn't pose a threat to anything. Of course they accomplished what they really wanted. An embarrasing high visibility gun club is now gone.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 07/19/07 08:09 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lincoln Park Gun Club was shut down by the city's hysterical anti-gun mayor, Richie Daley. Contamination of Lake Mich. by lead was just a canard to close down the place. The nit-wit also ordered Meigs Field, an airport off the city's Downtown, torn up to keep ''terrorists'' from flying in, loading up and destroying Chicago. ''I mean, well, I mean, well,Disney World, Mickey Mouse, has a no-fly zone so we in Chicago should have one!!''

Sidelock
Sidelock

This story was on the news a few months ago. The T.V. person was interviewing a Forest Ranger that said that the Condors eat the bullit from a wounded deer and get lead poisining. i would think that a bullit would go through quickly. More likely a Coyote or other scavenger eats the bulllit if they eat it at all.

One would think that a Forest Ranger would be a bit brighter than that. I don't know bird digestive systems but I do know what happened when my brother swollowed a nickel when he was ten. It went through fairly quick. And a womans dog in Wisconsin
ate 800 dollors in paper money and they got 700 of it back the next day.

I am not a Vet and I never played one on T.V. but this is just another ploy to outlaw ammo to get at our guns.

JMHO, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

There may a grain of truth to the condor lead issue, but it is almost certainly going to be with the ingestion of lead shot not bullets. Birds have this gizzard grinding of their food that makes them different from mammals with respect to passing nickels etc. I think most tax payers might be horrified to learn how much money has been spent trying to reestablish the condors. There are probably three employees for each condor out there-monitoring every move the birds make.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We'll be reduced soon to shooting red hots and Pez outta our barrels.
...but then I brought all this up in my anti-lead ban posts.
There are many here who have a taste for the lead shot banning - you might get the full course meal in California.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Add to this the proposed ban on toxic shot for dove hunting on Public Lands in Wisconsin. Another nibble to a complete ban on ANY type of lead ammunition.
The sorry fact is that a number of hunting individuals find this all reasonable and don't realise the direction this all is heading for.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Day in and day out I recognize this country and what it stood for less and less. Like an ex-WWII vet said about the proposed amendment to ban Flag burnings, "Go ahead and burn it (our Flag, and yes I capitalize the word Flag everytime I talk about our Flag)....... it doesn't mean anything anymore" For someone who sacrificed that much fighting in WWII to say and feel that way is a sad testament to us all because this is only the beginning!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not the country. The United States is one of the greatest countries in many respects, culturally, economically and militarily, and will remain so for for the forseeable future. As a neighbour, I cringe when citizens down-rate their country because those who do so do not remain for long as members of a great nation.

Everything's changing lickety-split. North America's resources, including wildlife, are being pushed hard. Migrations to our cities are producing anti-gun populations with what I consider an overweening concern for safety and security. We're the little guys now to pick on---and the results are everywhere to see. To keep what we've got we can't make mistakes.

Be assured, however, Americans don't have more dingbats than elsewhere. Our veterans fought when our countries were different places. In many ways our freedoms are stronger, our citizens more aware of their rights and prepared to exercise them. That's the vet's legacy: more commonfolk influence over the capricious forces that always controlled their lives.

The pity is that the wonderful, resourceful people who developed and serviced the agricultural, manufacturing and energy sectors to the envy of the world are now off the open spaces. Canada is hollowed out to a couple dozen urban sprawls. Publics who saw guns as useful are now gathered in great cities taking in each other's wash.

Let's not blame our countries. They are better now in lots of ways. We can only protect our sports by being the most responsible persons on our byways and streets, and by never backing off on the integrity of what we do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have only recovered one bullet from big game in 15 years of hunting. The rest passed right on through and are now half way to China. On a intersting note I have a friend that was a Bureau of Indian Affairs administrator. upon visiting the Navajo reservation he could hear two squaws on the local radio channel talking excitingly about something. the only thing he could make out was "Califonia Condor". He asked the driver what the squaws were talking about and her replied, "Recipies for California Condor, They say it tastes better than turkey!" Happy Thanksgiving, Enviro A-Holes!!!

-Shoot Straight, IM
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.