April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, fullandfuller, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 380 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Felix!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned a ML hammer gun some years back. The venerable John Mann sold it to me at a really nice price because I think he felt sorry for my young broke a$$.😂. God bless him.
The gun was exactly as pictured in the above catalog. It was a 16 bore. It wasn’t an extremely high quality gun, more of a fancy blue collar kinda of piece. Decently made, it was simple but not crude and ML paid someone at their ginormous factory to polish the locks, etc.
Most all ML’s I’ve seen and handled over the years have been about the same. Well made Belgian guns that absolutely weren’t in the JABC category.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quick update: Recieved the gun yesterday. While not an expensive gun, it looks even better than the pictures in the ad showed.

I measured everything and the bores were both within 2/1000(+) of the stampings on the flats. I presume they are within the gap between two measureing plugs. Weight of the barrels are within an ounce of the stamp. Total weight was 6# 1/2oz. Surprisingly, the chokes measure out at .036" and .040"; nowhere near the proof stamp and hard to add metal. Don't really know how this could be. No signs of any polishing on the barrels or under the CC. Engraving is super sharp. Condition of the gun for 90 some years is unbelievable.

The loose vs off face questions were answered. The gun has a very slight loose feel when closed (not open) so not side to side wriggle. The movement is so slight you can feel it but not see it. Held up to a strong light, I could see no gaps as I twisted and moved it. I tried a .001 shim under the flats and then in front of the breech face, and all movement disappeared. When I tried a .002 shim in either location, the action wouldn't lock. This is a maddening thing I have seen a few times. Not really worth the cost or effort to fix. I have seen this looseness removed before by a piece of stainless ship stock Loctited into the hook. Reversible and stops the irritation.

I want to try thisas a hammer uppland gun.I am going to try it first with some Polywad Spreaders I have to see how I shoot it. I may have the barrel chokes reamed out to the proof dimensions. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Ream the chokes to restore it to original!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If it ain't a masterpiece, shim it and shoot it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice little gun. Shim open chokes to what you want and shoot the snot out of it!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Extremely nice at that price point, I found other 12 gauge guns same model from 2k-3k and looked worse. Happy someone here got the thing. I love 16ga guns but never had a hammer gun and doubt I would actually hunt one. Congratulations!

Last edited by Jtplumb; 07/21/22 02:56 PM.
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

enjoy it in good health.

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Same gun? The SN and barrel flats are not shown
https://www.gunsamerica.com/9139617...-GRAND-PRIZE-1906-PRESENTATION-PRIZE.htm

Another sold in UK with 2 1/2" chambers
https://zh-cn.facebook.com/countrywaygunshop/posts/2353861118199057

As Jt said a prize winner at the Exposition Internationale de Milan, 1906
https://archive.org/details/expositionintern00drey

Just a note. I looked at these and they are not the same gun; you can see the serial # on the trigger bow of the first one, and the CC's are pretty much gon.

I think it is funny that everyone selling one thinks they have a prize from an auto race in 1906. The term Grand Prix has been so connected to Formula 1 that people think it means the race. The translation general comes out something like "Formula One Grand Prize of Monaco" etc but the term Gran Prix is generally not translated. The gun I bought is dated to 1929 or so. Little late to finish the prize and award it.

The gun ws not awarded as a prize, but was awarded a prize for industrial design at the Milan Exposition. They apparently labelled this model like that for as long as they made it after the exposition.

Also noted in a catalog from that period that the gun was only available "double full choked", which is consistent with the barrels and not the proof marks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
If it ain't a masterpiece, shim it and shoot it.

About time for one of them granpappy stories...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.