March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, SKB, battle, 1 invisible), 342 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#615774 06/13/22 10:33 PM
Jtplumb Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I picked one of these 1968 Brno zp 149 guns up for next to nothing years ago after reading about guy making big caliber rifles from them since they were so strong, something about barrel lumps made to fit action front and back.
These guns have poldi elektro steel chopper lump barrels, bushed firing pins, coil spring sidelocks and ejectors this one’s metal is well 99% and wood just needs some shaping checkering and refinish. I bought it to make a 16ga duck and goose gun out of,barrels choked .018 and .024 bores prestine. Any way I just bought another one for even less, that’s on the way. It’s wood looks a little rough but metal looks pretty good. I have thought of cch, 2 barrel set or a matched pair? Both gun are same model looks like close in years don’t have serial number yet. What do you guys think would be a good fun use of these 2. Maybe even some modest engraving?
I would like your thoughts? Are these junk or even worth the effort?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Jtplumb; 06/13/22 10:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like one in High Condition? They are great shooters and a totally mechanized longarm. The Bohemian mechanics had to turn to total mechanization due to the lost of mechanics in Both Great Wars. I, for one, don't think they have the Soul of their earlier counterparts but they do wand well.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ejectors too??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Yes both have ejectors and it doesn’t have the soul of the others much like a browning bss. But they are built like a tank, I see it as the sbe of sxs it will eat anything ( in 16ga). Maybe polishing the rough stuff and cch the thing will help?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Exactly on the BSS comparison. I have had a couple in my hands that belonged to friends. Tweaked them a bit & stoned the triggers for a crisp pull and they are solid workhorse doubles.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I think as a 2 barrel set ( with extra locks) with one barrel of the set opened up to say ic m the new tts ultra hard shot could be used for waterfowl effectively. Will see how the latest gun looks and how barrels and forends fit. Stock refinish, with rust blue, 500.00 bucks in engraving and four trigger jobs later,it should be interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting guns and they would make nice duck getters. Are they up to modern saami pressures?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brno shotguns have Baker type sidelocks - very simple, spartan design. They do not have the trigger characteristics and safety structure of a typical sidelock. The goal was to be able to build easy to manufacture locks of durable "low maintenance" quality inexpensively for high production guns without individual tuning work on each gun. Laymen get a fright when they remove the sidelocks for sighting because each lock consists of very few parts.

It doesn't have to be inferior because of that and it is no reason to disassociate from it.

The Brno Baker lock is a more practical alternative than a really cheap side lock muck of the Spanish rummage class

Wolfgang

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Yes on proof pressure's. I will take the latest one apart myself, I have repaired and fitted barrels on a baker (only time I tried, and spent weeks of time, I pay people who know what they are doing now) made it a 12 16 combo with 2 extra locks. It worked and turned out decent but didn’t care to much about it. This platform is much stronger, hope we can make it feel a bit more lively and look like something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brno ZP49's are to my mind the greatest value in a shotgun under $1,000.00 in the market place. If you are lucky enough to find one made in the late 1950's you will see that they have the "Soul" of the best gun concepts of both the English and European gunmakers. They were imported into Canada during the 1950-60's but not into the USA because of political objections, so we shooters here are not that familiar with them. They were made from high quality electric arc furnace steel and the action are through hardened, with striker discs also hardened and as you showed they have very high quality chopper lump barrels. If a shotgun can be called "bullet proof" in regard to its long life and maintainability then the ZP49 is a top candidate.

They make ideal candidates for double rifle and one double rifle maker in Canada, Ron Vella has even encountered a Brno factory double rifle with the ZP 49 action.

You can turn your 16 bore into a very nice upland gun.

Gunwolf (Wolfgang) is very correct about the quality concepts that went into designing the ZP-49 and these concepts are equal to concepts of such gunmakers of the time as FN. It is just amazing that Brno could build the ZP-49 for the price that they built it. Later in the 1970's they begin to make changes to the overall design, so it is best to buy the ones that were made before 1970.

I spent more than a year building and engraving a double rifle using a 1960's ZP49 and barreled it with shoe lump barrels and engraving it in a Fine English Scroll pattern, leaving the stock as it was originally--straight grain Beech.

If you would like to see what the ZP49 shotgun looks like engraved in an English pattern and finished in French Grey send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some photos of the double rifle; and if you want to post the photos here so that Gunwolf, Ellenburg and Double Take can see them you can do that as well.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 06/14/22 04:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.