March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 222 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Entropy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

First, I apologize for the atrocious pictures. I’m away from anything that resembles a decent camera or light box. Best I can do is a kitchen table and an iPhone. Hopefully get something better soon.

This gun has been in my possession for a bit over 30 years now. I received it from now departed good friend. Not much info was provided, but this was pre-internet days and info was more difficult to come by. I’ve never shot it due to not being able to ascertain the condition of the barrels. My friend did include two boxes of 10ga hand loaded black powder shells which sit on the shelf to this day.

In my initial investigating I recall having doubts on its true pedigree and despite the engraving on the locks and the nice wood...it has sat since. I have not been particularly kind to her either. It has sat above a cabin mantle only to be occasionally brought down to wipe the exterior and barrels. It locks up like a vault and the barrels have a nice ring, despite the pitting and my ignorance.

I’d really like to shoot it. It has sentimental value obviously. How and if that goal can be realized is another question entirely. Any info is welcome. I’ll try my best to get some better pics soon.

[Linked Image from iili.io]

[Linked Image from iili.io]lol

Last edited by Entropy; 05/14/22 10:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

See proper assessment first

https://www.mbabllc.com/page/page/7927803.htm

Call him (area code 715, Northern Wisconsin) and seek a path forward

Is that close to Upper Great Lakes?

Last edited by skeettx; 05/14/22 11:17 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Entropy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Judging by the area code and some of the links...it could be spitting distance. His website says not accepting new work currently, but I will give him a ring.

Thank you much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Google is your friend. Lots of info on this maker there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For information on Goodman, of Cooper and Goodman, this will be of interest:

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/a-hardware-store-gun-with-a-difference

Nice gun.

Entropy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Google is your friend. Lots of info on this maker there.

I’ll look around a bit more, but what I found was limited. Other projects on the burner as well. My knowledge is limited, and back the clock up prior to about 1890...it’s pretty much non-exsistant. Digging will be a good exercise. I’ll get some “better” bad pics today with some natural light and get them up.

Entropy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It looks like Birmingham proofed between 1855-1875. Found both online resource, as well as the copy of my old soft cover book. Nothing found on the “C H” that is on the barrel flats, nor the “B ^” that is on the under rib. I have never had the lock plates off, that might be a next step. One of the odd things I encountered is the lack of any serial number or such. That could lend perhaps a clue to its pedigree (cheap copy?) or an idea of manufacture date. Does anyone know when they started to serialize them?

Last edited by Entropy; 05/16/22 08:08 AM.
Entropy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I was able to mostly disassemble the gun and get a better look at things. The screw that fastens the underlever to the action still will not budge. Several cycles Kroil, heat, gentle tapping will not help. The screw head is already deformed, and I don’t want to risk additional damage. All the other screws were easily removed using Kroil and a proper fitting screwdriver.

The inside of the locks appear to be in fairly good shape. Each lock is stamped: “Joint Patents Stanton & Co” with respective numbers of 15977, and 15978 stamped below that. No other markings. The stock is stamped “C. Greenshall” on a singular spot behind the triggers. No other serial numbers or identifying makes seem to be present.

There are remnants of case hardening colors on the rear of the action block and tang. The firing pin springs appear to be hand wound wire.

A few questions if you don’t mind. I’d like to clean it up a bit. You can see the dirt and detritus within the engraving. Both on the receiver and the side plates. I have read in a few other posts of folks running parts thru an ultrasonic cleaner using a gentle solution of Dawn and warm water. Any harm in this? It would be nice to see if the case colors will “pop” and clean up the locks a bit. Submerge the locks assembled?

The barrels are another issue. I might need to invest in a few tools and a bore scope to see what we have there. One step at a time tho. Thanks for the help. Pics below.

Last edited by Entropy; 05/25/22 01:08 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.