March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

coke can shim

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted by Parabola
Suggest that before you shim that you centralise elevation adjustment ( wind all the way down and half way back).

Then set up a tall 50 yard target with an aiming mark at the top, and fire 1 or 3 rounds to measure total drop at 50 yards(1,800 inches).

Divide drop in inches by 1,800 and multiply by distance in inches between centres of your scope rings will give you a ball park figure for thickness of shim to insert between bottom of scope tube and the top of the lower rear scope ring.
Originally Posted by Parabola
Suggest that before you shim that you centralise elevation adjustment ( wind all the way down and half way back).

Then set up a tall 50 yard target with an aiming mark at the top, and fire 1 or 3 rounds to measure total drop at 50 yards(1,800 inches).

Divide drop in inches by 1,800 and multiply by distance in inches between centres of your scope rings will give you a ball park figure for thickness of shim to insert between bottom of scope tube and the top of the lower rear scope ring.

I also suggest this very much. I’m certain you’re aware, but use care when you are bottoming out the erector (either up or down) during this adjustment. While “modern technique” in long range shooting is to “dial the turrets”, the older optics really weren’t designed to be cranked on repeatedly. Just treat it with the respect it deserves! I also suspect a base issue. It’s normal in long range shooting to instal what is referred to as a “20MOA base” (they come in 0, 10, 20, 30) to allow say a 200-300y zero in the bottom of the scopes adjustment range. This allows the ability to “dial” the turrets for using the reticle directly for aiming at distances past 1000+ yards dialing the elevation directly.

Anyhow my .02. You may also want to measure the rough height on each base using a micrometer or fine ruler. Another way to confirm the problem without firing a shot.

Last edited by Entropy; 05/15/22 09:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Make the shim out of any type of soft metal or plastic sheet that is easy to cut. PUT SHIM UNDER THE REAR OF THE BASE NOT IN THE SCOPE RING.

You also need to center the reticle in the scope before bore sighting. Do this by counting the # of clicks for the full travel of either elevation or windage & divide by 2 then add that # of clicks from the maxed out position for both windage & elevation. This should center the reticle.

Use the shim (s) to get the elevation adjusted as closely as possible & the windage as close as possible using the windage adjustment screws (assuming you are using a Buehler or Redfield style base) @ 50 yds. before using the internal adjustments of the scope.

Then do the final adjustments to get the desired zero @ 100 yds using the internal adjustments on the scope for windage & elevation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with "entropy" about being careful about bottoming out internal adjustments. Bottoming out the turret adjustments gives me the creeps. I'm always afraid something will stretch or break.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shim is a piss poor 'solution'.

I still say just cut your losses and get a Leupold base and ring set.

It will fit, and won't need any stinking shims.

Of course it won't look like vintage Weaver (Thank God).

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whilst you can shim under the rear base rather than under the scope, my feeling is that it it best to get a very solid connection between the bases and the receiver ring.

They should be well snugged down and firmly loctited.

My reasoning is that it is much easier to monitor the tightness of your scope ring screws rather than that of the base screws which are inaccessible under the scope mounts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed, a shim is not the ideal or most elegant solution.

They are still a very useful way to get a rifle to deliver its group where you want it, particularly if you do not have a better solution to hand.

As Herbert McBride found, rusted bits of razor blade can even stop a Warner and Swasey scope wobbling around on a .303” Ross.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Right now, the reticule is in"dead center"-- I will CAREFULLY dial down to dead stop the elevation knob,counting carefully the clicks- then again Carefully raise the dial back UP 1/2 the number of clicks it took to bottom it out-- Interesting, as I though a shim would need to be placed in the bottom radius of the mounting ring, but the group seems to endorse placing it on the bottom of the mount, where it sits on the radius of the receiver--That might present a small problem, as I used a drop of Blue Loctite on the machine screws for each mounting ring--however, I applied the Loctite on the top of the screw head, and not into the D&T holes in the receiver of the rifle. Parabola-- a Warner and Swasey scope on a '.303 Ross rifle- sounds a bit like a Canadian set-up, am I correct? I know Warner & Swasey, as I know LeBlond, Cinncinati, Brown&Sharpe, Lufkin, Starret, Bridgeport, Atlas, and all the other great names in American Machine Shop operation- "back in the day"-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

You might want to take a peek over at Vintagescopes.com. I’m NOT affiliated with them, but have used them for several projects and to refurbish an old K6. They do good work and usually have a plethora of period correct rings and bases available. Good folks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First World War sniper issue, although the Canadians also made use of and seemed to prefer armourer mounted Winchester A5 scopes.

His book “A Rifleman to War” has been reprinted and is well worth reading as in “In the Trenches 1914 to 1918” by Glenn R. Iriam.

Last edited by Parabola; 05/15/22 01:15 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.