March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The sixteen ga model 700's were the rarest of the 700 model guns. If you have one originally chambered for 20ga and it patterns well I think you may have a very good and super rare gun. I would not bother with a reproof since the gun in in America and the chamber sleeve was likely done here...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had two, both hammer guns (my favs).
Still have one, works very well as a "overbored 20"
Fiber wads might be less effective, but with plastic wads there is no difference to my real 20ga.

For added info:
I did the sleeves on my two guns.
No material was taken out of the 16 chambers, so I have zero concern.

Last edited by DmColonial; 05/13/22 12:04 PM.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I chamber sleeved a 16 sterlingworth from 16 to 20. Two paper shells left in the chambers for 50 years had altered them to Swiss cheese. On a whim I put a couple 16/20 chamber adapters in it and shot a couple patterns. They were great. So I had the chambers reamed out and a set of custom made chamber adapters installed along with a reworked extractor for a 20 gauge. One of my kids still has it in his gun case. It worked well for pass shooting dove, Sporting Clays and crows of opportunity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a smith chamber sleeve a 24ga to 28. My favorite quail gun.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

On close inspection with a magnifier I can see that the chamber has been sleeved. There is no obvious seam but I can see a slight difference in the direction of the tooling marks between the outside of the barrel and a concentric ring on the inner side. The ejectors also have been reamed out and metal added so they are concentric with the rest of the chamber and there is a slight seam there.. It looks like a very professional job but it worries me that the gun is not in proof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you’re going to keep the gun you may rest assured that pressures will be well below those published for 20 gauge. We don’t have proof houses in the US so don’t worry about that.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

On close inspection with a magnifier I can see that the chamber has been sleeved. Obviously, I now know, but I didn't know chamber sleeving could be done. There is no obvious seam but I can see a slight difference in the direction of the tooling marks between the outside of the barrel and a concentric ring on the inner side. The ejectors also have been milled out and metal added so they are even with the rest of the chamber and there is a slight seam there.. It looks like a very professional job but it worries me that the gun is not in proof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not in Proof by U.K. standards possibly but it has not had the strength compromised but I would in no way put 3" cartridges through it as the pressure would be an issue then. A 16 bore can be between .661 and .681 and still be marked as a 16 bore. The Bore is on the tighter side of the 16 bore barrel. I'd consider having it put back as a 16 bore and using it as such. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aside from possible pressure issues with 3” cartridges , as it weighs “just 6 pounds” you should regard a 1 ounce load as the maximum for recoil management and will find it more comfortable and possibly more effective with 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads.

It may be worth patterning it with both plastic and fibre wads to see which it likes best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Michael in NH
On close inspection with a magnifier I can see that the chamber has been sleeved. There is no obvious seam but I can see a slight difference in the direction of the tooling marks between the outside of the barrel and a concentric ring on the inner side. The ejectors also have been reamed out and metal added so they are concentric with the rest of the chamber and there is a slight seam there.. It looks like a very professional job but it worries me that the gun is not in proof.

Michael;

Your concern that the gun has not been re-proofed is prudent. If the gun was chamber sleeved by someone like Kirk Merrington, then one can assume with some reason that the chamber sleeve boring away of the original chamber was carried out in a workmanlike manner, and maybe it will stand up to pressures you submit the gun while firing it. If it was not Kirk or another of his caliber, then your worry continues as you cannot "see" how much of the barrel bore might have been cut away beyond the distance that it is safe to do.

What does the original seller to you say about this conundrum?

We do not have proof houses in the USA, and accordingly shotgun and rifle manufactures here use their own proof loads in their factory. I wish we had a USA proof house, but I suspect the lawyers do not.

With the last double rifle I built which had a service pressure of 38,000 psi I loaded heavy loads of 54,000 psi and shot two of these loads in each barrel (while I was behind a protective barrier). Even that does not make the rifle I built absolutely incapable of blowing the barrel, but it gave peace of mind somewhat.

Last edited by bushveld; 05/13/22 05:04 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.