April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, Bob Blair, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The easiest way to simplify seating the overpowder card is to put a small V - shaped nick on the margin : prevents trapped air and card rebound. Some of the original card wad punches were formed to do this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a load for SxS percussion shotguns I got from Muzzleloading Forum called "the Skychief load" which everyone who has used it swears gives tighter patterns for longer distances (no chokes on these guns).
-- powder
-- over powder card (.125")
-- Shot
-- overshot card
-- 1/2" cushion wad absolutely soaked in olive oil.

I keep my wads in colored plastic M&M tubes and use an old "dime coin dispenser" (mine is 16 bore) to dispense the OS cards.

I had the temerity to suggest using vegetable oil (higher burn point) and everybody jumped me saying not to mess with this formula. Apparently the olive oil keeps the shot bunched much longer.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/skychief-smoothbore-load-recipe.113195/

The olive oil tends to ooze over the barrel a bit as you ram the cushion wad home. I keep a rag in my back pocket for the excess.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/12/22 07:21 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is interesting, Gene. Do I understand that the 1/2" cushion wad soaked in olive oil is on top of the thin overshot wad? If so, this is contrary to everything I have ever read about m/l loads.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep Stanton and it sure is. Check out the link. It's been stickied on muzzleloaders forum for several years now. Try patterning it. I haven't but I don't have an easy way to do that.

(And I'm still using that homemade brass-door-handle" "stanrod"...and works like a charm).

This bit from "Skychief":

Stewart, the sloppy cushion wad is the last thing to go down the pipe.

Hinamamra, I found it while trying everything I could think of for better squirrel hunting loads. Believe me when I say that a LOT of shot was sent to the patterning boards. I kept tweaking things until I was satisfied that I was out of practical ideas.

The squirrels and turkeys have hated me ever since.:thumb:

Best of luck, Skychief.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/12/22 08:05 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted with a greaves 16 bore my friend had a 12 bore greener we used a load like the one Argo mentioned we cut our wads from stock I got from the printing co. I worked for.the last wad was soaked in lube it kept down fowling ,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.