April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, LeFusil, gunmaker, fullandfuller, Argo44, JDH), 401 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
I'd post pictures but am so bummed out about 5 years of research GWTW I won't do it.

Guess you should have learned from the Photobucket deal and saved them somewhere, Gene.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W.W.Greener from about 1870. Non rebounding and Jones under lever. Absolutely untouched original. From half cock it is extremely quick to sweep both hammers to full with my thumb. Notice the hammers at full cock are below the barrels, out of sight. IMO the 1870’s were the peak of English gunmaking. Everything was hand made, very little machinery.

My favorite upland hammer gun is a very early (possibly the first) Charles Daly finished in Germany from Scott parts in the 1870’s. About 6 1/2 pounds with original 28” barrels. High rebounding hammers close enough to sweep back together with one hand. Fast!

Here is the Daly doing what it does best:

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
1 member likes this: Lloyd3
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a beautiful shotgun. Good enough reason to carry it afield.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of the guns that got me going on this little adventure. Joe's guns are lovely. The hammers on that Greener are unlike any I've ever seen before.

It's not hard to figure out Mr. Wood's raison d'etre for that Scott-sourced Charles Dailey, eh? Very cool. That confirms for me that there are huntable hammer guns out there. The key is finding the right one.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/05/22 11:27 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

https://imgur.com/a/nXJ9XTS

Trying to figure out IMgur. I should have bid on this gun 2 years ago.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/04/22 11:08 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo, what is it?

Lloyd, IMO there are very few hammer guns available that are suitable for my type of upland shooting. I must have a super quick gun for when a covey of quail explodes right under my feet. The Daly fits it perfectly. But I must say when I walk into a wild covey that the dogs have locked down on both hammers are already cocked.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD: Nice William Evans 16 BTW.

Also, and more to your point, many (if not most) hammer guns have learning curves (and some can be fairly steep). Hunting with one presents challenges that have been unheard-of for, what... the last 2 or 3 generations of hunters? The world has moved-on (in so-many ways) and seeing one afield is very rare now. Other than using one myself (a few years ago now), I've never encountered another in the field (sadly, I suspect that's probably more of a comment on where and when I actually do go afield).

With the passage of time, good or even "great" useable examples are now becoming fairly uncommon. For the much earlier and perhaps more-refined versions, because of their mostly-now very advanced age and the technologies employed in their making (almost exclusively by hand & with long-obsolete [i.e., "primitive"] steels), they have care & feeding components well beyond what your average shotgunner is willing to tolerate or even bother to understand, at least...in order to use them properly and safely. They have become so-much more art than utility, when you consider the many inherent "disadvantages" some of them now possess. I recently heard the term "boutique" being used to describe a very early example, and it's an apt description. Ignorance here is not only expensive, it can be maiming (and even lethal). Not using ammunition with the proper levels of pressure (or even the correct dimensions) and/or not utilizing rigorous and then timely cleaning techniques will inevitably lead to a disaster (in one form or another). And yet....for me at least, they represent some of the greatest examples of a gunmaker's artistic expression that I've ever seen or held. Seeing several exceptional examples again recently (down at Whittington) has really brought that back to me.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/05/22 07:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood

W.W.Greener from about 1870. Non rebounding and Jones under lever. Absolutely untouched original. From half cock it is extremely quick to sweep both hammers to full with my thumb. Notice the hammers at full cock are below the barrels, out of sight. IMO the 1870’s were the peak of English gunmaking. Everything was hand made, very little machinery.

Joe,
If that Greener ever needs a new home, please keep me in mind. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

King George V stuck with hammer guns all his life.

But I take it that his loader handed them to him already cocked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought lot 222, a J. Burrows hammered shotgun almost 6 years ago. The gun had been re-stocked and probably in 2000 the chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4" and re-proofed for nitro at the Birmingham Proof House. Other then replacing the 2 screws that hold the hammers on, I haven;t had to do anything else. So if you are patient and willing to accept some compromises (re-stocked and a Jones under lever) one can still find a hammer gun at a reasonable price that is shoot-able with modern ammo.

Link: https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/catalog/78419/summer-firearms-auction-june-18--2016/?cpage=5

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.