March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, battle, trw999, Argo44, 1 invisible), 362 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The best plug is the one you will actually use. Foam are fine for protection, especially with muffs over them if shooting in an indoor range or under a cover with rifles, For hunting, I always wear electronic molded plugs. Need to hear the game and the occasional rattlesnake. I have a set of passive molded plugs, but I have not worn them since I got electronic plugs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could someone please share the name of an outfit that makes custom molded ear plugs with electronic muzzle blast protection?
I really like my custom molded silicone ones but would like to hear more excluding muzzle blast.
Can’t wear ear muffs. They clunk on my gunstock.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My old electronic custom plugs are from Starkey (Starkey Magnum Ear). Starkey spun off at least part of their hearing protection business to a new company called SoundGear. I have ordered a new pair of SoundGears but I have not used them yet. On paper, there are lots of improvements, including the ability to stream phone calls and other audio from your cell phone without compromising the hearing protection. Some health insurance plans will provide partial coverage because these are considered (by some plans) as hearing aids if you already have a significant hearing deficit.

https://soundgear.com/

Boxlock
Online Content
Boxlock

www.espamerica.com is one of several outfits that provide custom electronic plugs.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks so much. Staying with foam and have a pack each of the 30 db and the 33 db Leight foam plugs on order.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a set of the molded plugs back in 2014 when the dealer was present at a GSSF shoot at St. Augustine, FL. Friends that I shot indoor IDPA shoots swore by them for pistol shooting because the blast is much closer than with a shotgun. The vendor there was selling them for $65 and that was much less than what my friends had said they paid for theirs.
I was able to get the custom plugs made before I shot my entries in the shoot and was very happy with them(but not my shooting). I don't believe it would be worth the money to buy them for shotgun shooting although I use them often because my sonic plugs have a tendency to fall out

Byron
Sidelock
Sidelock

If something happened to the pair I have now, and I had to pay $65 for another set, I'd do so gladly ................ for shotgunning. JMOYMMV.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What ya say ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

While the foam type are very effective, but after an hour or so my ears ache from the constant pressure. I use the molded type. They work well.

Using muffs over plugs is a bad idea if you are in the company of others. I do a lot of shooting, high power and var. shotgun, and several times I have witnessed someone with plugs and muffs that could not hear range commands or cautions, and thereby created dangerous situations on the firing line.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ithaca5E
While the foam type are very effective, but after an hour or so my ears ache from the constant pressure. I use the molded type. They work well.

Using muffs over plugs is a bad idea if you are in the company of others. I do a lot of shooting, high power and var. shotgun, and several times I have witnessed someone with plugs and muffs that could not hear range commands or cautions, and thereby created dangerous situations on the firing line.

Try plugs and muffs with amplified listening and activated sound canceling for loud noises.

Or possibly percussive ear plugs, either electronic or mechanical.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.