March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
dukxdog #614447 05/02/22 06:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did see some nice guns at the Southern but I spent most of my time there standing in line to shoot on the sporting clay course! They could not get enough volunteers to run the course so they combine the big bore and small bore stations together. Resulted in long lines to shoot and nobody was happy about that! Standing in line for fifteen minutes to shoot two pair on a station and then going to the next station and repeating the same. Many people swore they would not be back next year. I will not drive the 1054 miles(each way) again myself for this event. My collectors club has their annual meeting there and we are seriously looking elsewhere for the future.

Last edited by KS16ga; 05/02/22 06:34 PM.

Byron
dukxdog #614448 05/02/22 07:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This venue has definitely run its course.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
KS16ga #614449 05/02/22 08:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KS16ga
I did see some nice guns at the Southern but I spent most of my time there standing in line to shoot on the sporting clay course! They could not get enough volunteers to run the course so they combine the big bore and small bore stations together. Resulted in long lines to shoot and nobody was happy about that! Standing in line for fifteen minutes to shoot two pair on a station and then going to the next station and repeating the same. Many people swore they would not be back next year. I will not drive the 1054 miles(each way) again myself for this event. My collectors club has their annual meeting there and we are seriously looking elsewhere for the future.
If you would definitely give them a call or drop them an email and let them know. It takes knowing the good and bad to make something a success. The last thing this hobby needs is something else going away right now.

67galaxie #614467 05/03/22 04:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 67galaxie
If you would definitely give them a call or drop them an email and let them know. It takes knowing the good and bad to make something a success. The last thing this hobby needs is something else going away right now.
The venue, not the event. Deep River is a very cramped site for parking and just overall space, They never change the targets either. Plenty of other nicer venues across the South to have this event. Providence Hill Farm in the Jackson< MS area, is a super venue, but the promoters may not be willing to pay their fee:

https://www.providencehillfarm.com/

JR

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
dukxdog #614469 05/03/22 05:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, while I’m sure that is a nice venue, and it would be pretty handy to you, a location near the bottom of MS may not be an ideal spot to locate the event. It makes the drive for a lot of people who have been attending regularly much longer. I know it would be shorter for some but, conceptually one wants it to be in the centre of the largest possible population from which to draw.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by 67galaxie
The venue, not the event. Deep River is a very cramped site for parking and just overall space, They never change the targets either. Plenty of other nicer venues across the South to have this event. Providence Hill Farm in the Jackson< MS area, is a super venue, but the promoters may not be willing to pay their fee:

https://www.providencehillfarm.com/

JR

Rick Hemingway's Backwoods Quail Club is another one, where the Fall Classic S X S is held in October. There is no better host club than Rick's. His attention to detail will not be exceeded, maybe even unmatched. The issue, again, is the location. There is just a certain amount of driving that people are willing to do. I understand that. It blows me away that some will drive over a thousand miles each way to attend the spring Southern S X S.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
dukxdog #614474 05/03/22 10:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point, Stan. They should just move it to Backwoods and have the Spring and Fall event there. Rick is one of the best and bends over backwards to make any event great. Food is always special as well. Georgetown is a really neat little place itself.
JR

dukxdog #614476 05/04/22 07:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend of mine attended the fall southern side by side at backwoods quail club Interested in purchasing his first side-by-side. Unfortunately, when he arrived, there were no gun vendors present and it was impossible for him to achieve his goal in attending. For some reason the vendors do not value the fall event.Perhaps it is the time of year or the location, but it was a little embarrassing to me that I was not even a single vendor present for my friend.

Owen
dukxdog #614486 05/04/22 10:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Fall SSxS is up against too much competition from other things, college football being one of the main contributors, but hunting seasons also. I think it's time for it to go. Jmo.
JR

dukxdog #614495 05/04/22 02:47 PM
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick Hemingway is in the business of throwing targets. When/if the Fall event fails to make money for him it will stop. Until then it’s a great place to shoot and I hope it continues. Vendors would be a plus but it’s not as well attended

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.