March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Pat Gidley, SKB, Der Ami, jcn, RWG, Longknife), 830 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks-looked at it again this past Sat--I'm close to making an offer, part of which encompasses how much and what amount, make and grain wt. of ammo is included in the settled price (plus 6% tax)--Any idea how man companies back n that era (G&H side mount) made and installed muzzle breaks for large cal. rifles? I went back to some older Stoeger's catalogues in my library--ads for the Poly Chokes and Cutts comps for scatterguns galore, nada on rifle muzzle gadgets- this baby, blued steel, is threaded onto male threads machined on the muzzle, just ahead of the front sight ramp. Even a WAG would be appreciated. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take your time don't rush into it mabey it will be a real collectors item once you decide

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the 1950's, BSA made a Muzzle Brake available on their CF bolt action rifles they mfg'd called the BESA.
As I recall, the brake was machined right into the bbl itself and not an add-on feature.
The front sight ramp was in place right on top of where the slots were cut out at the sides of the bbl.

No Markings that I know of to tell you that you had a special BESA on your rifle,,you just had to know that.

They were extremely loud in use,,muzzle brakes can be that way. But so much so that BSA offered a metal sleeve device that slipped down over the muzzle and down as far as to cover the ports.
It was open along the top to pass by the front sight ramp.
A lug on either side projected upwards just far enough to allow a small screw to pass and clamp the sleeve in place.

Maybe a former BESA owner disliked the devise so much that they had it cut from the bbl. The front sight ramp moved back and bbl recrowned.
Never to throw anything away, a gunsmith kept it and later found use for it with another customer that delighted in reducing the recoil of his M70.
Some internal threads into the cut off BESA and matching male threads on the M70.....

Well that's my story book tale.,

As far as other Muzzle Brakes,,Herters sold one in the 50's and 60's to be gunsmith installed on your rifle.
Needed your guns bbl to be threaded.
The brake had a single slanted vent on the top of the brake IIRC. Maybe they made other styles too.

Added,,,
Here's a pic of a Herters muzzle brake,,it has 2 vents on top,,not the one I had remembered.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/herters-recoil-eliminator-muzzle-137703612

Last edited by Kutter; 05/08/22 07:28 PM. Reason: added
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, mucho, fellas, for the nice and most informative replies re: Added muzzle brake to the 1942 era M70 STD grade .375H&H I am looking to purchase soon-- By process of elimination, none of the "possibles" metnioned are "quite right"-- I did get some fotos on the new "Jitterbug" I-pad thingy--If I can get them posted here, that might help. There are/is NO: (1) set screw(s) it threads on the machined muzzle, and it was Not cut down from 25 inch factory length- nor was the front sight ramp changed from its position.

I have to say "Gracias" to Dave Weber for having the variety of forums available to us, to trade information, as well as having double guns for sale or trade. There is, indeed, a wealth of information out there in the free world, and this is the "numero uno" place to share it. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Cutts Compensator for rifles was advertised as a "30 caliber" device. I assume it can be used for a .375, but don't know for sure. I assume it was installed over the muzzle after drilling it to the proper size, then soldered. The Cutts would be the only proper muzzle brake for the period of your gun. I don't have a rifle that is screwed up enough to try to install my Cutts, but some day I might find one. It would be neat on a Springfield sporter with a cut barrel.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Words of wisdom, indeed. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a good article on the Cutts Compensator for rifles in a 1937 American Rifleman. I have it laid out, but haven't read it. My Cutts was a $5.00 item on a table at the Chantilly, VA gun show.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can believe that-- Hard to give a Cutts or the shotgun tube away today-must be a niche market. I will say that my exam of this older M70 showed to be a excellent job of machining the threaded muzzle, no interruption to the front sight base at all- wonder if shooting it with the muzzle removed would affect the accuracy older M70's with the lead lapped barrel bores were known for. RWTF

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice to be a "packrat"--I found my 1954 Stoeger's and on page 132-- behold- a Sha-Cul and also a Johnson Muzzle Brake for Rifles are listed- neither seems to be anywhere the one installed on the pre-War M70 .375 I am looking over. Alas. And Mein Frau tells me the "Jitterbug" pad thingy she gave me recently does not connect to the Internet, so I am unable to send you the photos of this M70 you asked for. RWTF

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

IIRC-- humm- If I Recall Correctly?? Just a swag here- am I correct, Sir?? RWTF

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.