March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to KY Jon and Bruce for additional insights. Looking at the date code info John provided I didn’t see where it ticked and tied to what Bruce shared (1989) on the manufacture year.

Last edited by doublenut; 04/05/22 11:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bruce Bernacki
Top picture shows I*2 = 1989. Interesting 1000 bar proof, 14,500 psi.

Bruce

Bruce, help me understand your comment about “interesting 1000 bar proof, 14,500 psi”. Do you feel that is low or high proof pressure? Thanks - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

850 would be standard proof. 1000 is midway between standard and full heavy 1200 bar proof. I’ve seen it before on Spanish guns. Nothing the matter with your gun proof at all. Just a not often seen proof level.

1 member likes this: doublenut
Sidelock
Sidelock

I met John Morton in the early 80's at Dunn's in Grand Junction, TN when John Allen was manager there. Nice guy. They had Paul Jaeger doing work there also.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/06/22 10:27 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Jon said about proof. I have a Ugartechea 119 in 16 that is proofed to 900 bar, because that's standard for 16 gauge I think. I don't exceed the service pressure even though I have a hidden third bite for added strength. I think magnum proof is 1200 bar (see the other conversation on proof on the BBS). I think 12's are proofed to 850 bar for 2 3/4" chambers. But I also have a 3" Zabala Hermanos 12 proofed to 1000 bar, so not magnum proofed, but not standard proof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
I met John Morton in the early 80's at Dunn's in Grand Junction, TN when John Allen was manager there. Nice guy. They had Paul Jaeger doing work there also.
JR

John:

I thought Paul retired when he sold out to Dunn’s but his nephew, Dietrich Apel, went down there for a while before he opened New England Custom Guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Remington40x
Originally Posted by John Roberts
JR

John:

I thought Paul retired when he sold out to Dunn’s but his nephew, Dietrich Apel, went down there for a while before he opened New England Custom Guns.
You could easily be correct. Too long ago to argue otherwise. They did use the Paul Jaeger name in their ads.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/06/22 09:16 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John:

Dunn’s bought the name. Paul was very well known and Dietrich less so.

I only know this because I used to shop at Jaeger’s regularly before Dunn’s bought them. They were less than ten miles from my home at the time. I still have a 20 gauge Bernardelli Gamecock and a Bushnell spotting scope I bought from them before the business was sold.

Rem

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One more question on this gun. Is there a way to determine the model by the engraving, serial #, or other means. I can’t seem to find any info on the model. I don’t have the Spanish Best book but will purchase it if it helps me with that info. Thanks - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by doublenut
One more question on this gun. Is there a way to determine the model by the engraving, serial #, or other means. I can’t seem to find any info on the model. I don’t have the Spanish Best book but will purchase it if it helps me with that info. Thanks - doublenut
Generally speaking you can tell the model by the engraving, but not always. Arrieta had standard engraving patterns for each of their models, but being a custom maker, they'd build whatever the customer ordered. I've seen 500 series (5-pin) guns engraved in the 931-style (7-pin) of engraving. In fact, I believe one is shown on the dust jacket cover of Spanish Best and shown with several pics in the book. The author Terry Wieland was careful in how he described this particular gun, saying it was engraved in the 931-style, not that it is an Arrieta 931. Spanish Best does not show all the standard models and their engraving patterns at the time the book was written, brochures of the day when your gun was built will be your best bet in determining the model.

There was a time you could e-mail your gun's serial number to Arrieta and they would tell you the model. Since Arrieta went out of business in ~2014, I don't know if there's someone or somewhere else where you can obtain info on your gun. Why not post a few pics here or on shotgunworld.com's Spanish Shotguns forum of your Arrieta's engraving to see if anyone can help.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.