March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB

Blacker's maybe?

Johnson's(barrel browner here) owns the newly revived John Manton and is building new guns as well as specializing in blacking and browning. If they are sleeving too I did not know that.

We do not sleeve ourselves but we do take the work in, you can still get this work done in the UK but several guys who used to do it are no longer doing it so prices are increasing. At present we are blacking, browning and relaying ribs in house, we also cover dents polish bores choke work etc. combining this with the new builds keeps us very busy. in the not too distant future we will be looking to start taking on a few apprentices so maybe we will look sleeving in the future.

2 members like this: mc, Drew Hause
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I just found out my contact that was sleeving 6 months ago is no longer offering the service though he is inquiring with a friend who may be able to help out. Please keep us informed, I get inquires from time to time and am happy to point them in your direction if you do decide to offer sleeving.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: barrel browner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by PALUNC
Johnson's for sure. Barrel Maker for all London Best guns

Blacker's maybe?

Johnson's(barrel browner here) owns the newly revived John Manton and is building new guns as well as specializing in blacking and browning. If they are sleeving too I did not know that.

Maybe Ron Johnson of Johnsons barrel browners in London, last I heard they still do sleeving.

http://johnsonsbarrelbrowners.co.uk/johnsons-barrel-browners-family-history/

Barrel Browner here is Paul Stevens of Stevens & Johnsons. Two different outfits, very similar incredible results. Both top notch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

so, are you guys suggesting that we send our guns to the uk for sleeving?

Last edited by ed good; 03/27/22 03:36 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Considering the vast experience Italian makers and gunsmiths have with the monobloc process, and that sleeving is similar (but not identical), it might be worth looking that way for sleeving.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Most of the guns my clients are considering having sleeved are located in the UK, moving guns in and out of the EU has become difficult and costly. I do not think any savings are to be had by shipping the guns to Italy for sleeving.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking of those that are contemplating shipping from the US to the UK for sleeving. It should not cost more to ship to Italy. I have seen work done by some top Italian gunsmiths like Lutterotti and it is impressive. It is also competitively priced.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I think those thinking of shipping guns over seas for sleeving will find the bureaucracy and over head prohibitive. I have no experience shipping guns to Italy but I was the Teague lining representative here in the States for several years and I can tell you that it was painfully expensive to transport the guns. I shipped those guns in batches to try to spread the overhead out and I still could not turn a decent profit doing it.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

The protagonist in this bureaucratic nightmare was an English member of the European parliament. Now Britain is out of the EU but the rest of us are saddled with this madness forever.

It is easier and cheaper to travel with the gun, under an EU personal gun permit, than to send the gun by itself, and in the cost I am counting hotel stays and food. I can imagine the cost of transatlantic transport being multiple of what it is inside the EU.

Odd that there are not more American smiths doing sleeving. Especially in view of increasing steel shot use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are several people in the US that can do quite good work sleeving. The sticking point is getting tubes. The Italian source most use have raised the quantity of each specified tube. Now instead of getting 1 set of 12's 26" -30" you have to get 50 of each length. That creates a cost of front end loading of an inventory that is really hard for a small shop to justify.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.