March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#611763 02/28/22 12:56 PM
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A Boss RUL hammer gun appeared at an auction in Canada on Sunday. Boss Hammer Aside from the horrible description ("12 ga flintlock") a decent price was achieved of CAD$3000. A careful look at the rib inscription, not aided by the horrible photos, indicated that the barrels were by another and thus period replacements. I bid in the early stages but my max bid was eventually eclipsed. As far as the condition, I would say that the gun had been carried a fair amount as the engraving at hand was softened, but the lock plate was in much better shape. The replacement barrels looked strong and original to my untrained eye. Interestingly, there were about 20 additional photos posted on Friday that have since been taken down. The proof marks showed only BP proof from the Birmingham proof house. I always wonder...did perhaps a Canadian member on this forum win this one? Also, what can we glean from the sale price achieved?

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

As they say, that gun has a lot of original condition, mostly well used and worn. Without measuring the barrels I would not even be tempted to bid on it. For CAD$3,000 I would expect a better gun f bought at Holts or other auction venue. Auctions are too often contest between two or more bidders rather than a reasoned estimation of value. Not too long ago I watched Remington 12 Economy loads sell for over $20/box plus shipping. That brought them up to $27.00+. Too much for promo loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Number 2945 was the last pinfire made by Boss & Co.; number 2955 was made around 1871, so quite an early Boss centre-fire. I think the buyer did well.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds and looks like a good deal these guns had great engraving

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was watching that one as well but after my email and phone msg to the auctioneer went unanswered regarding the condition of the bores, decided not to bid. I'm fairly sure I know the buyer so may follow up on this thread once he has it delivered. The rib inscription shows the replacement barrels were from Tolley.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes those are some of the deleted photos. It really looks as if the gun is largely original. Those screw slots have been carefully looked after and the brown on the Damascus could be original. May even be a somewhat original finish on the stock under the dings.Yes, I’d love to hear from the winner.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just looking again at the photographs I first thought it was the angle the photographs where taken but it is not. I am sure that the final purchaser of this gun is in for a large helping of Auction buyers remorse. Those hammers did not start out life with the gun they are to big the hammer faces are at the wrong angle to the strikers also one is so high its head it will not hit the striker centrally, also the strikers are a little low with one hammer breast hitting the fence. I also feel that the hammer engraving is not in the same room as the rest of the lock plates. As Boss at the time was one of London's premier makers it all does not add up IMHO.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding Boss #2935:

I must say that I am not disappointed with this gun - no buyer's remorse here.

The replacement barrels by Tolley are in very good shape - clean and without pitting, both measure around .730 and have at least .032 wall thickness. A trifle heavy, perhaps, but the balance point is slightly ahead of the hinge pin and the 7 lb, 2 oz weight will be good for clays. They are on-face with solid lock-up.
The Brazier locks remain in excellent condition with crisp trigger pulls around 4 to 4.5 pounds. I'm sure that the hammers are original and they hit the strikers smack in the centre. The screws are in good to excellent condition.

The metal is proud of the wood in places, but the stock is sound and wood-to-metal fit is excellent. I think many of the little dents can be steamed out. The leather case is all intact, with good stitching, solid straps and handle. Not an oak frame, but it has those lovely heavy brass corner protectors in place.

So there you have it - an old but unmolested Boss. I look forward to discovering more about its history.

Last edited by mbatten; 11/28/23 10:36 PM.
3 members like this: JBLondon, Imperdix, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mbatten
Regarding Boss #2935:

I must say that I am not disappointed - no buyer's remorse here.

The replacement Tolley barrels are in very good shape - clean and without pitting, both measure around .730 and have at least .032 wall thickness. A little heavy, perhaps, but the balance point is slightly ahead of the hinge pin and the 7 lb, 2 oz weight will be good for clays. They are on-face with solid lock-up.
The Brazier locks remain in excellent condition with crisp trigger pulls around 4 to 4.5 pounds. I'm sure that the hammers are original and they hit the strikers smack in the centre. The screws are in good to excellent condition.

The stock is shrunken away in places from the metal, but the wood is sound and wood to metal fit is excellent. I think many of the little dents can be steamed out. The leather case is all intact, with good stitching, solid straps and handle. Not an oak frame, but it has those lovely heavy brass corner protectors mounted.

So there you have it - an old but unmolested Boss. I look forward to discovering more about its history.
I'm pleased to hear of the satisfactory outcome with your gun. Looks very nice.I hope it will be put to good use and gives you some pleasure, Regards

Last edited by Mr W martin; 03/10/22 03:57 PM.

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you are happy and it sounds like the gun ended up better that the pictures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.