March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, mel5141, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 809 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#611344 02/19/22 05:58 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at a Stephen Grant built on the 12/20 action. It has the Baker design single trigger along with 27" barrels.
Looking for anything or opinions

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure I see the advantage with todays shells.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO single triggers in old guns are trouble and short barrels in lite guns are whippy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great guns , buy it
Loved the pictures

Last edited by skeettx; 02/19/22 09:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you like it, buy it.
I doubt that will have any more or less issues than any other gun of the same era.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great guns

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
If you like it, buy it.
I doubt that will have any more or less issues than any other gun of the same era.

Buy that man a Blue Ribbon....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned two 12/ 20‘s over the past 15 years. They are an under appreciated jewel of twentieth century British gun trade.

The 12/20s by Grant were all made after the merger between Grant and Lancaster in the early 30s. They were built between the wars to best gun standards and I had have had no problems with either of my two. I moved my first one along because it was only 6 lbs and did not fit me well. Went on the hunt for another and found one at 6’6” that fit me. It is now my current wild quail gun in which I shoot 7/8th oz loads.

They typically weigh 6 to 6 1/2 lbs so you don’t want to shoot heavy 12 gauge loads. They are an incredibly strong action and by my limited experience, are very reliable. The Baker single trigger was well regarded in the early twentieth century. Both of mine however were double trigger guns.

Toby Barclay is an admirer of this action and posted this when he was marketing one he had restored to new condition ( not one of mine):

“This gun is a fine example of the so-called ‘12/20’ mechanism designed and patented in 1906 by that prolific inventor, William Baker. This mechanism was used by a wide swathe of the British gun trade in their better quality sidelocks and it was a very successful design. The ‘12/20’ name comes from the writings of Sir Gerald Burrand who wrote extensively about the gunmakers and their designs and the name was adopted by several London gunmakers to describe the model, notably Churchill and Lancaster. It derives from the inherent strength of the back-action layout of the lock parts which meant that a gun could be made very strong for its weight and so could be built lighter, hence the idea of a 12b with the weight of a 20b. The mechanism also provides an assisted opening facility if the gun is wholly or partly unfired and is only cocked when the barrels are closed, meaning the mainsprings are at rest when the gun is broken or in parts.”

Last edited by Dr. P; 02/19/22 11:33 PM. Reason: Typos
1 member likes this: bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Dr P mentions, I do admire the design and execution of these guns.
However, I have never worked on the Baker single trigger, probably for the simple reason that I don't work on any British single triggers unless both arms are well up my back and my wife and Tilly the lab are being held hostage!
I have no doubt that the Baker ST mechanism may have been highly regarded in the early C20th but we are now in the early C21st and who knows what idiots have been let loose on your pride and joy since.
I wouldn't give house room to an British single trigger from the C19th. And that includes the Boss unless I had a guarantee, written in blood, that no one except Boss themselves had serviced, restocked or striped and cleaned the gun! I am sure that there are 'smiths out there who can do the work but there is no way of knowing if it is they that did it.
Call me over-cautious if you will, but I have spent too many hours sweating over British single triggers in years past to ever want to deal with them again.

5 members like this: Imperdix, KDGJ, Dan S. W., John Roberts, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Toby Barclay
As Dr P mentions, I do admire the design and execution of these guns.
However, I have never worked on the Baker single trigger, probably for the simple reason that I don't work on any British single triggers unless both arms are well up my back and my wife and Tilly the lab are being held hostage!
I have no doubt that the Baker ST mechanism may have been highly regarded in the early C20th but we are now in the early C21st and who knows what idiots have been let loose on your pride and joy since.
I wouldn't give house room to an British single trigger from the C19th. And that includes the Boss unless I had a guarantee, written in blood, that no one except Boss themselves had serviced, restocked or striped and cleaned the gun! I am sure that there are 'smiths out there who can do the work but there is no way of knowing if it is they that did it.
Call me over-cautious if you will, but I have spent too many hours sweating over British single triggers in years past to ever want to deal with them again.

There are quite a few people here who really should read this twice.

Thank you, Toby.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: Imperdix, John Roberts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.