April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 207 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
What happened to his Stutz Bearcats and his Deusenbergs- and how did he know, as Det. Lt. Frank Bullitt, that it was a Winchester pump (it was a M`1897 for sure) being pointed at him and his Mustang in the great car chase scene in "Bullitt"?? Just a glance at 80 plus MPH--RWTF
He appeared in the Sand Pebbles 2 years before Bullit, and as I remember they used several Model 97's in that movie.

McQueen may have been just an actor, but he could drive a car (did all his own work in Bullit and one of the two Fords was his own full race Trans Am car, the other a hopped up 3900. His motorcycle skills were legendery. He was deeply admired by the best trials rider in the world for his skill and determination and went full blown all out in SoCal and Mexican races almost every weekend. I always though he ended up what James Dean wanted to be.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

And he did an enlistment in the Marine Corps.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement. That is rather a poor show with that Rolex of yours my two have done the business for fifty years now with just one Rolex service each in that time. One watch is for working in and the other is for that new look though both are in retirement like my self now just in the gun safe and I have on my wrist a cheap Seconda. The last time I had one on I flew in to n Airport not to be named and a customs officer called me over and said "I would not wear that if I where you it is an advert to be mugged. Advice taken and neither worn since.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AGS
He appeared in the Sand Pebbles 2 years before Bullit, and as I remember they used several Model 97's in that movie.

McQueen may have been just an actor, but he could drive a car (did all his own work in Bullit and one of the two Fords was his own full race Trans Am car, the other a hopped up 3900. His motorcycle skills were legendery. He was deeply admired by the best trials rider in the world for his skill and determination and went full blown all out in SoCal and Mexican races almost every weekend. I always though he ended up what James Dean wanted to be.

McQueen did some of the driving in Bullitt, but the more demanding driving was done by Bud Ekins (who also performed the Great Escape motorcycle jump) and Loren Janes. Carey Loftin also drove. The Charger was driven by Bill Hickman. Two heavily modified 390 GT cars were used, but they were not "full race Trans Am" cars. In fact, fastback Mustangs were not legal in Trans Am for the '67 and '68 seasons and notchback Mustangs were campaigned. Mustang fastbacks were legal for Trans Am again in 1969 with the Boss 302 cars. McQueen did not race in the Trans Am series. McQueen never owned either of the Bullitt Mustangs. The first was thrashed so badly in the movie that it was believed to have been scrapped. However, it was recently found in Mexico and is currently being restored. The second Bullitt Mustang was eventually owned by the Kiernan family for decades. McQueen had tried to buy the car from them, but the family declined and used it as a family car for years until selling it in 2020 for $3.7 million.

Sidelock
Sidelock

regarding steve mcqueen; my love of motorcycles predates my enthusiasm for guns by about 10 years....bought my first bike in 1965....edged over into guns in 1974 - i have told folks they are a variation on a theme....both are based in internal combustion.

lagopus is correct about the motorcycles in the great escape movie; the german motorcycle of ww2 was the predecessor to the zundapp ks601, a heavy stodgy device about as suited for aerial stunts as a tank. in the earlier scenes the movie used a zundapp, but in the famous escape scene it turns into a triumph tr6. interestingly, steve actually did not perform the famous jump....it was done by his friend (and motorcycle racing mentor) bud ekins, who did much work as a stunt man in hollywood in that era. by 1960 mcqueen was a very hot commodity in hollywood, and under the conditions of his contract was forbidden to race motorcycles (for fear of injuries), and for a number of years he competed under the nom de plume, harvey mushman. the movie jump, which steve was quite capable of executing, was given to his buddy ekins when the insurance company underwriting the movie would not permit the high dollar actor to do the stunt. the 1959 triumph used in the movie was similar to the west coast desert "sleds" that dominated desert mc racing in that era, and in 1964, dave ekins, steve mcqueen and three other racers were chosen to represent the usa at the 1964 international six days trials in east germany....riding similar 650 triumph tr6sc bikes. it was the first time a full team of american riders had participated in the isdt (the olympics of the off road motorcyle world), and mcqueen personally underwrote a good deal of the expenses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2841307936...338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

canvasback notes his wife's uncle as the author of the book from which the great escape movie was taken. i have had a copy of the book for many years, and was aware that the pow camp was a brit/commonwealth compound....i think there was only a single american flyer imprisoned there, rather than the three the movie included. there is little question that the film was created to utilize steve mcqueen as a very popular actor....but the movie also held up numerous real life brits in a very positive light. be assured that in some quarters steve is considered to be more than just an actor.

ags has it right, steve mcqueen was a life long gearhead....and in amongst off road motorcyclists, a legend.

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

when I was teaching scuba years ago I always coveted a Rolex.One of the other instructors a Marine major had one. years later I got one and wore it daily . kept fair time. I was rough on watches and had the crystal replaced a couple of times the sales lady asked me if it was a gift as I did not deserve a Rolex. I think she meant it. found a local watchmaker that kept it tuned up and repaired. I don't wear a watch anymore the phone is more accurate

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bluestem
Originally Posted by AGS

McQueen did some of the driving in Bullitt, but the more demanding driving was done by Bud Ekins (who also performed the Great Escape motorcycle jump) and Loren Janes. Carey Loftin also drove. The Charger was driven by Bill Hickman. Two heavily modified 390 GT cars were used, but they were not "full race Trans Am" cars. In fact, fastback Mustangs were not legal in Trans Am for the '67 and '68 seasons and notchback Mustangs were campaigned. Mustang fastbacks were legal for Trans Am again in 1969 with the Boss 302 cars. McQueen did not race in the Trans Am series. McQueen never owned either of the Bullitt Mustangs. The first was thrashed so badly in the movie that it was believed to have been scrapped. However, it was recently found in Mexico and is currently being restored. The second Bullitt Mustang was eventually owned by the Kiernan family for decades. McQueen had tried to buy the car from them, but the family declined and used it as a family car for years until selling it in 2020 for $3.7 million.

II intended to say full Trans Am spec Mustang. The rest you may be correct about, but car and Driver did an interview article in the late 60's which I kept for years and reread many times. McQueen referred to the 302 car "his car" and talked about the timing and details of the filming. I do remember that Ekins was the driver that laid the bike down, and McQueen said it scared hime so badly that he lost control of the car and went off the road in a big slide. This segment eas left in the film.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed he did- right after Chino reform school

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.