April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefC, David Williamson, Lloyd3, Sun Dog, 2 invisible), 843 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,822
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#610933 02/11/22 02:05 PM
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

In the middle of a small gun project here (a good mid-winter project). A hard-used M12 in 16 that was inherited by a family member after years of neglect and apparently... careless use. A circa 1927 gun that still has the nickel steel moniker (& accordingly, the 2 5/8 16-gauge chamber) that I first saw several years ago (8 now?) hanging out in the back of a closet. I mentioned then that it was well-worth cleaning up and how parts were readily available. Fast forward to now, it's still in need of a deep cleaning (still the old story of dust mixed with lubricants sludging things up) and a more-careful examination of things reveals a 28-inch, still full choke barrel with a significant crack (at the 9 o'clock position). A 1/2-inch piece of the toe of the stock has also been gone so-long the break was smoothing out and rounding-off at the edges from continued use, the wood all dry and pale as the almost non-existent finish now only hints at what it once was. The work I suggested all those years ago appears to have been at-least started at some time in the intervening years, as the magazine tube is now secured and the little spring under the take-down pin has been replaced. It actually pumps now as well. It may well cost me my little 1913 25-inch barreled M12 20-bore (that was tendered as a filler gun), as I do seem to have a soft spot for these early M12 16s (that little 20 is too-darn petite to fit me well anyway). Built on the smaller 20-frame, these early 16s are intriguing to me for a number of reasons, build quality and then weight and balance being the biggest part of all that.

Addendum: An associate from my former gunshop days is a wizard with these old American hunting artifacts, and he has already fitted an original take-off red Winchester pad (not a repro!) that gains about 3/4 of an inch of LOP for me, carefully reshaping the stock to fit (and blending -in the damaged toe section in the process). He has also competently cut the damaged barrel back to about 26 1/2 inches and re-set the bead (eliminating the damaged section and leaving me with a tight IC choke). I'm done sanding the last of the original finish off-of the stock and have started back with the 2nd coat of a spar urethane finish. I'm presently torn about re-bluing things or just leaving it as-is. I'm also considering a Williams "Big-Head" safety to help me remember how to efficiently use a right-hand safety (as a south-paw). Not exactly sure who I'm doing this project for just yet. After a trip to the range I'll probably have a better idea. Restoration was never the plan here, just making it useful again for a start, with perhaps a nod to making it pleasant to look at as well, going foreword.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/11/22 07:56 PM.
1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures please smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you meant 26 1/2inches instead of 16 1/2, that will be a really nice gun.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Carl46: Fixed that little typo, thanks. It's 26 1/2 now. Pictures to follow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I Had a short chambered Mod 12 with 26", 3/4 choked barrel years ago in good shooting order,,,,it was one of the hardest hitters that I`ve ever owned !!! Great to carry too!

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Before...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

During...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Can't see the red yet (still taped up for the last coat).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/11/22 07:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d leave the bluing as it is. It will never be a safe [censored - come on man!] and deserves to show all those hard earned wear areas. When I see a pristine looking gun I often think what a shame it never got used. But truth is 20 years ago I would have restored to like new if possible. Now I think that’s overkill and have learned just because you can does not mean you should.

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like you're losing a canoe paddle and gaining a classic shotgun. Nice trade!

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Some here may disagree as it's not a double, but completely fair to call an early M12 a "classic" in my book. At a minimum It should now be more useful in the upland world. Useful is, of course, subjective considering the availability of 2 1/2-inch 16 gauge shells these days...but since I've got a few put back this old device should be a bit more utilitarian going forward.

[url=https://imgur.com/vuc21qE][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/url

I've even got some of the proper red "hole plugs" for this pad, thanks to my former associate.

I really am torn on re-bluing it (just cold, nothing fancy), for at least the receiver. It's right on the edge of rusty where it's at now. But....if I make it too "pretty" it's real owner may want it back.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/11/22 09:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
She might want it back, regardless. But, I already know how she feels about Easter egg hunts for ammunition. That A5 20 gauge will check most of the boxes.

I’ve been down this exact same path, with the almost exact same gun, but, in 20 gauge. I knew it would never be a gun from the collectible column in anybodies world, and I draw filed the pits, and polished to perhaps 400, and sent it to be hot blued at Glen Rock blue, in Wyoming. Never regretted that move, nice to not worry about more rust on the gun, or, my hands. The end result of cold blueing will usually be wishing you had hot blued the old gun. Somebody is going to use the gun. Nobody will wish to see rust accumulating on the old surfaces, and that WILL happen at LOW county.

Do The Whole job. Put it back in use. It uses the same ammunition your regular gun does. Perfect gun to have in waiting for yourself. I really doubt anybody will argue with you about ownership after they realize the ammunition issue.

If that turns out to be the case, I have a Williams big button Lefty safety for that gun. Might as well do it up right.

Let me know.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: LeFusil
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.