March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I believe you may be referring to the Bing Crosby Lang & Hussey 28? Here are the selling notes from that gun, from my records, which also indicate that HJ Hussey would have made this gun in 1893:

"Lang & Hussey Imperial Sidelock Ejector, circa 1894 very early and rare 28 bore sidelock, original fluid steel 28" nitro proved chopperlump barrels and proved 5/8 oz. with a concave game rib engraved "Lang & Hussey Ltd. 102 New Bond Street London" and choked .038 ridiculously extra full and .045 ridiculously extra extra full, another set of fluid steel 28" barrels added later but pre-1950 and also London nitro proved but proved with rare extra long 2 7/8" chambers and for a 7/8 oz. load with a wide flat and high pigeon rib with tubes engraved "Lang & Hussey" and "London" and choked .007 Lt. Mod. and .012 Mod., very dark and moderately figured stock with 14 5/8" LOP over a red Silvers pad, 1 11/16" DAC, 2 1/2" DAH, 1/4" cast off, splinter forend, straight grip, double triggers, drop points, 5 lbs even (game rib) and 5 lbs. 8 oz. (pigeon rib), bar action 7-pin sidelock with fine rose bouquet and English scroll engraving with "Lang & Hussey Ltd." on both sides and "Imperial Ejector" on bottom of action, ejectors, non-automatic safety with "Safe" in gold, cocking indicators, vacant stock oval. Condition: about 70% case colors remaining, some thinning of barrel blue, a professionally repaired crack from right side of trigger guard extension into checkering that looks sound, some wood repair behind the stock oval on the bottom edge, pigeon rib barrels bores .553 on both and .027 and .029 min. wall thickness, game rib barrels out of proof with bores .565 and .568 and min. wall thickness of .015 and .017, game rib barrels also have chambers lengthened to 2 7/8" to match other barrels but not reproved. ... Additionally, when this gun was previously purchased from a dealer no longer in business, it was said this gun belonged to noted Actor, Singer, and Sportsman, Bing Crosby. At the time there was a document from England made out to Bing's widow's name for repairs made to the gun. Unfortunately, that document is no longer with the gun. It is well documented that Bing was an avid 28 bore user and also that if you hunted with Bing, he insisted that you also use a 28 bore. We have confirmed that Bing's guns were sold at a May 1982 of all of Bing's personal items at Butterfield and Butterfield in San Francisco. We are trying to obtain a copy of that catalogue to document this gun but at this time we have been unable to complete that. Rest assured that if/when we do, the price of the gun will increase. On it's own a rare early Hussey Imperial in a rare and desirable bore size and a rare heavy proof and long chambers." For sale with MW Reynolds in Denver 2014. Here is a photo of the gun:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

My Hussey records have only one other 28: "HJ Hussey Ltd 28 bore 2 3/4" sidelock ejector, 28" barrels, true and full choke, refinished frame and locks best engraving, locks signed in gold and cocking indicators, 14 1/2" stock, 5lbs 3ozs, nitro proofed in leather case" At auction in UK in 1990. Here is a photo of that gun:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Tim

1 member likes this: Hussey
Sidelock
Sidelock

trw999: I'm duly impressed, that was indeed the gun. Forgot about the Bing Crosby part of it and even about how really early it was, 1893....jeese! It was way cool and inspired a special form of lust when handled. That photo just doesn't do it justice (& Mark's photos are generally very good). In many ways, it started me down the 28-gauge road (as I'd never taken them seriously before that time).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/07/22 02:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brit 28 you're most likely to run across would be one from Webley & Scott's Model 700 series. They are modern guns, all made after WWII. 28ga 700's were not made until 1966. There was also a Model 728, which is basically a Model 702 (which is the middle of 3 grades in the 700 series) in 28 ga. But I believe all of those were made with 26" barrels. As Brit 28's go, they're relatively numerous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most British pre 1970 made 28’s will be 2 1/2” guns with 26” barrels. If you hold out for 28” you will be looking for a while. Also the 2 1/2” were meant for 5/8 ounce loads, not our standard 28, 2 3-4” Roman Candles. I hesitate to buy yet one more gun which will require me to load one more specialized load.

The 700/28 will not give you the feel you are after I suspect. You might be better off looking for a 2 1/2” 20 bore which does what we make our American 28’s do with easy. Plus there are ten times as many to pick from. A British small bore can be a very alive gun. I love my Pape 20 bore hammer gun with 30” barrels. Comes in under six pounds. Only regret was it is still a 2 1/2” so I need to watch what I feed it a bit. Do stay away from double rifles which were bored out to 28 as they often are heavy as heck and handle like a nice fence post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All said, buy a Rizinni F.A.I.R. Iside with the barrels you choose and interchangeable chokes and forget about antiques...Geo

2 members like this: Tom Findrick, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well let me get a hat in the ring by inviting you to take a look at the Dickinson 28 I have advertised on this For Sale forum.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hussey: If you're in it for the chase, then God Bless and good luck. If you're looking for a good, useable gun that won't break the bank then Mr. Kissam's 28 might very well be worth a look. Mine is made on their .410 frame (with 28-inch 28-gauge barrels) and w/a 14 3/4 LOP it weighs 5lbs4. At 30-inches, Perry's gun will weigh just a bit more. I had to send my gun back to the Dickenson folks to get the triggers lightened (which they did quite well) and I redid the finish again last fall (as it was dried out a bit). New guns aren't nearly as romantic as the old English ones but they are very pragmatic once they've been sorted out. Also...ammo won't be anywhere near the hardship that the short-chambered guns will cause. I buy most of my 28 bore ammo at the big box stores and it works just fine.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/07/22 06:22 PM.
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, ChiefAmungum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just posted an English 28 bore for sale that you may find interesting!

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a mint Francotte Knockabout that I sold to Steve Barnett a couple of years before he passed. The one that Stan posted doesn't look like my old gun, but similar. It was a great gun but too high a condition for me to carry in the field. I had to load 1/2 ounce loads for it to be comfortable to shoot. I would rather shoot my six pound Parker 28s, which are very comfortable to shoot with 3/4 ounce loads. If I were looking for a Brit 28, I would go for a Webley and Scott Model 728. I still have pictures of the wonderful Purdey paradox 28 that I didn't bid high enough on at an Alderfer's auction a few years back. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much it sold for after I got cold feet. I wish I had a second chance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can't find an English one; and they are scarce, then have a look at a second hand AyA boxlock. It's about as close as you will come in one not made in the U.K. I have one and with 2 3/4" chambers it is a delight to shoot. Lagopus.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.