April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (obsessed-with-doubles), 205 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#610710 02/06/22 10:55 PM
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Getting the urge to find a nice English made 28 bore. Budget is pretty tight so it’s going to have to be a Birmingham made box lock. What are some options?

Thanks,

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You're paying a lot more for a Brit 28 just because it's a 28. I owned a Wilkes 28 briefly. Intrigued by the idea of a 4 3/4 pound gun with 28" barrels. (Wilkes is a London name, but the gun was Birmingham-made.) It was like trying to shoot with a pool cue. Might work for some people. Did not work for me.

My advice to anyone considering the purchase of a sxs 28ga: Give serious thought to a Parker Reproduction. They represent a lot of gun for the money. But if you're a traditionalist and insist on a straight grip, double triggers, and splinter forend, you won't find many in that configuration. And if you buy one with 28" barrels, it will almost certainly be choked WAY tighter than you probably want your 28ga to be choked. But chokes can always be opened. If only they'd made more of those with that configuration, factory choked Quail 1 & 2.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure when the Brits moved from 2.5" but load was limited to 5/8 oz. Tight budget and Brit boxlock between the wars in 28 ga are contradictions in terms. wink Have you considered Italian, Spanish or Turkish guns? Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess it all depends on your definition of "tight budget". grin

I'm happy with my lowly Belgian Francotte 28 gauge. But it can be had by anyone with $7000 in their tight budget. Bwahahaha!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback

I'm happy with my lowly Belgian Francotte 28 gauge. But it can be had by anyone with $7000 in their tight budget. Bwahahaha!

Well ............ just wait one more month for another SSI check to be deposited in your "gun money" account and get this 'un:

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/francotte-shotguns-for-sale/francotte-special-boxlock-sxs-28-gauge

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a Blanch coming up in the next Morphy Auction.

Last edited by PALUNC; 02/07/22 09:49 AM.

Mike Proctor
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

@Larry;

I’ve owned a couple of 28 ga Parker Repro’s and I agree they are great guns for the money. My issue, which is all in my head, is they don’t feel like Parkers. Yes, I know they are exact replicas but they have always felt like “fakes” to me. A Brit gun, made in London or elsewhere in the UK, are what they are, and the few I have handled have felt right.

I did own a 28b CG Bonehill with 27”(?) Damascus barrels. Very cool little gun but it was under 5# and felt like a Red Rider BB gun when trying to swing through a target.

At this point I’m interested in sorting through the manufacturers, I know there were probably a dozen or so, and from there figure out which ones I like the best. I didn’t know Coggie made a 28, but that’s pretty much the class of gun I’m interested in. I have no shortage of shotguns, or 28’s (I have an early 870LT skeet gun, and an early 1100LT that is a blast to shoot) so I’ll bide my time until I find the right gun. But I am interested in my options and what people think about the various makes.

Thanks,

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by canvasback

Well ............ just wait one more month for another SSI check to be deposited in your "gun money" account and get this 'un:

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/francotte-shotguns-for-sale/francotte-special-boxlock-sxs-28-gauge

Ahhh Stan. While the names are different the bullshit is the same. A little less than two years ago I decided, without much effort I admit, that regardless of the rules, I wasn't taking a dime of government covid money. Despite the fact that our government gave away more per capita than any nation on earth. My gun fund still get filled the old fashioned way.....by me earning the money. laugh laugh

It's a nice looking gun though. A little more engraving and mine has a little more orginal finish (but still very nice condition).

Last edited by canvasback; 02/07/22 09:32 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

An English 28 with a single trigger, at 9 large. What, I ask you, could possibly go wrong?

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.