March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, SKB, 1 invisible), 676 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem with only trying to shoot cock birds is that during a hurried covey rise, as you quickly try to zero in on a single bird to shoot due to brush, trees, the direction flown, and such, by the time you focus on the target, that split second evaluation of the rooster/hen issue can easily cause you to pull off a bird and ultimately miss all opportunities if you are really trying to avoid shooting the gals. I've done that plenty of times, especially when not shooting a bird at all is perfectly fine with me, and that's more likely to be the case when hunting the birds on my place as compared to elsewhere. When hunting on some of the larger plantations that have substantial bird populations, the effort by hunters and guests to be highly selective on the sex of the birds is definitely reduced. Even then, however, there's that bit of pride that comes when the bird you pop is a rooster.
One of my college roommates has a nice property outside of Athens and having more than a covey or two on his place has been a huge challenge; pretty sure he passes on killing any of them as a result. He's thrilled to be coming down this weekend to hunt with me on my place. With my mindset starting to focus on the coming nesting season, we won't be on anywhere near a killing rampage, but the weather conditions should be ideal for some great times following around some dogs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How was your hunt today, Mel?

Regarding the chat about about picking out cock birds, here's a flush from this afternoon. Any of you think you could've done it? laugh. I don't think I could have....

[video:youtube]
[/video]

mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow, that flush did indeed happen in a hurry, I couldn't tell the distance from the guns (camera) to the birds , but that was going to require an "instinct" shot to connect, sex of the target a VERY distant consideration......
We had an hour an 45 minutes on the ground for the hard running trainee, less for the veterans on the buggy..... Had 5 coveys pointed , that I got to, a bird from each.... only shooting opportunity over the new dog produced a wing tipped bird that took a nice cripple catch by a Setter with hundreds of those chases under her collar.
Starting on Saturday , and for the remainder of the season , I will only shoot over points by my trainee.... the others know the drill all too well.....I am approaching a harvest ratio of a bird per 10 acres of property..... that's about my cut off point for a semi marginal year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mel, that’s an interesting number
Ruffed grouse researchers talk about 1 pair/brood/20 acres as a sustainable density target.

Interesting that number seems applicable to bob’s as well.

I wonder if that number came from the same place years back? Or if it’s just coincidence.

Out there doing it best I can.
mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. CZ, I didn't reference the grouse harvest ratio ( I really was not aware of It) don't have a lot of familiarity with Grouse. Occasional trips North in the past with some VERY dedicated grouse hunters.... I always came away with the feeling that Ruffed Grouse Hunting
" Read better than it Hunted" but that was just my take.

The harvest number I took was just my management plan for this property, specific to this year. In boom years , most recently the 2016-17 season, my harvest exceeded a bird for 4 acres season long tally.
I do shoot this property heavier than the recommendations that Kleberg and Rolling Plains Quail Ranch personnel advocate in Texas..... I know those guys, and respect their opinions..... So far my plans have worked out well for me at the higher rate.

Last edited by mel5141; 02/13/22 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ruffed grouse hunting is it’s own thing.
It can be crazy hard, or very easy.

The pair density number comes up when habitat is talked about.
Essentially, a brood for every 20 acres. Higher, can have great shooting, lower, miserable armed hiking.

It’s nice to think that good bobwhite habitat, well managed, is much more productive than that. AND, is expected to be.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.