March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 857 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm contemplating how to get more drop on an SKB 100, 20 gauge that I have restocked. It has a through bolt, of course. However, I have heard that even through bolt stocks can be bent. I'd like to add a little bit more drop and some cast off as well (1/4" in each direction would be ideal). The question becomes, how?

I have bent other guns including a W. Evans and a couple of Cashmores for more drop and more, or less, cast. They are all "conventionally" stocked, in the sense that they lacked through bolts.

In this case, the through bolt is about 6 or 7" long. I'm considering shortening it to about 4.5" long to just behind the point of the comb. That would leave a little more wood behind the bolt to be bent. But still not much.

Is this the normal way to do this?

Thanks

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis Earle Smith told me the first thing to do is make the through hole bigger, then loosen the bolt when you bend the stock. You could also change th shape of the comb to the dimensions you need.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only thing I do differently when bending a through bolt gun is place an additional clamp on the cheeks of the stock at the head to prevent spreading. I keep the bolt very tight during a bend and often tighten it a bit more afterward.

You are looking for a very small amount of travel to get your bend, the bolt should not cause you issues but if it does you will know it. I would set it up and see if you can push it as far as you need for the bend without issues cropping up.

I bet it will be fine.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for these two comments. I'm going to give it a go tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

Someday, I need to learn to checker.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Follow SKB's advice. I do exactly the same. Don't forget his advice about clamping the cheeks so when you put pressure on the butt it does not spread the cheeks.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to hijack BrentD's thread, but if I may ask Steve, if you don't loosen the drawbolt a bit so that the head and washer can slip a tiny bit to a new position wouldn't the constant tension that the draw bolt would be under, by being sprung, increase the chance of the wood going back to it's original position? Or, at least, after the bend is done, slacken the draw bolt a bit and allow the head to reposition itself, then retighten it, relieving any lateral tension the bolt would be under?

Just trying to understand the process better before trying it myself on my Dickinson .410.

Thanks.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that keeping the through bolt tight is critical in preventing damage to the head of the stock once pressure is applied. My experience is that the wood moves around the bolt and washer. I do not find through bolt guns any more difficult to bend than other guns, nor do I find increased spring back after the bend. It really is more a matter of the piece of wood in my opinion.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The SKB stock has a hole that is only about 5" deep. So there is not much wood behind the bolt to bend. I could deepen that hole, and then rethread the bolt and shorten it. But I don't know if that would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure the bolt is metric so I'd have to order up an appropriate metric threading die but that should be easy enough.

Is there any consensus on where, in the stock, the bolt should stop? What if the bottom of the hole was even with, for instance, the center of the grip cap? Too deep?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate that.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not had springback on the two I have done however, I have had springback if I did not adjust the trigger guard after bending.

So many guns, so little time!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.