April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Upland 28, welder, Licensed to kill), 1,177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,140
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice post Damascus. Particularly the professional pride part.
But you are on a different side of the equation than the owner. Different challenges. Different expectations.
Your professional reputation stands to be damaged by a failed repair.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting discussion.

For those of you using the West Systems Epoxy.

Are you using the 105 or the G Flex & what level of success have you had w/tinting the resin to match the wood in cases where you can't get a complete closure of the crack or joint?

To me, that was (is) the beauty of the original Acraglas w/ the powdered dye (which I still have access to). I've not been as happy w the liquid dye that comes in the tubes & Acraglass Gel has it's uses but not in this application.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the 105 West System. I have not needed to dye it as all repairs have been hidden but I suppose that any epoxy can be dyed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used the West Systems 105 many times, but never tried the G Flex. It can be difficult at times to get a close fitting joint, but it is most important to try to achieve that goal. Gaps and voids are the enemy of a strong glue joint that won't break again in the future, so keeping and cleaning debris out of a crack or break is a priority, as is trying to find and keep all broken pieces of a stock that may be repaired. The original broken pieces will often fit better than any patch you might attempt, and the grain and pores will be perfect too.

Like you, I still have a quantity of the Brownells Acraglas dye for the times I do have to fill a void. Most often, that is going to be a natural void from an inclusion or internal crack in the walnut that cannot be pulled closed and glued. The color of the dyed epoxy has to approximate the color of the wood AFTER the finish is applied, because cured epoxy will not take stain or color deeper from the finish. So it may be necessary to put some finish on a hidden part of the stock, or a scrap from the same blank, to see what color you need. Many people advise coloring the clear epoxy with walnut sawdust, but that typically turns out too dark. I have found that mixing in some very fine sanding dust from pine or poplar will provide a better color match to the finished walnut. Adding a small amount of walnut sawdust may be needed if the mix is too light. Every piece is different, so it may take some experimentation to get a match that isn't glaringly obvious in the finished project. It takes a lot more time to do it right, but the results are worth it when you finally do it well enough that even you have a hard time finding a repair that you did.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.