March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Little Creek, DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 792 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am willing to believe those lovely guns were made in Germany. Replace the scroll engraving with oak leaf & acorn . . .

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

check out this image from guns international.......very close in appearance.

https://images.gunsinternational.co...Gun_101550378_64049_67C11C48182CA5B2.jpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a beautiful pair of guns. British over unders are much less popular that their side-by-sides.
A number of years ago I had a Graham boxlock ejector (side-by-side) and it was superbly made and handled well in the field.

Sidelock
Sidelock

from diggory's library....https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/phallic-lancasters

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

wow Grey beard thx for the link.

thats my lock for sure, I now have to go down and see if they are in fact hand detachable..........?

not sure what protruding pin he was talking about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, you are correct, the book is written by Geoffrey Boothroyd , title "The British over -and under and it is indicated that Lancaster O/U are from German Origine.
Page 16. So Mister Douglas Tate is correct in what he wrote.
Cheers, Marc.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I looked at my locks and see that they are an exact duplication of the ones in Diggory's picture in the article on Lancaster o/u locks.
Although they do not appear to be the quick release plates, mine have a machine screw in the same place. I assume they would come apart by removing that screw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - cool guns. Thank you for sharing.

Here's another version of this design by Lancaster:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?lid=64732906

From the listing for that gun:

"According to Geoffrey & Susan Boothroyd in their book “The British Over-And-Under Shotgun” (Chapter 16), H.A.A. Thorn, the then owner of Charles Lancaster, took out a patent (No. 12,057 of May 14, 1910) for "providing double-barrelled guns, of the kind having superposed barrels, with ejector mechanism". Expanding on the fact that the patent is for ejectors only, a letter published in "The Field" magazine on June 30, 1910 is mentioned that confirms the guns were purchased ‘in the white’ from Germany and were finished and fitted with ejectors by Lancaster in London."

I've seen similar phallic-style locks on other Lancasters. They were all SxSs, and I don't believe the locks had a quick- or easy-detachable feature.

BTW: Here's the full GI listing for the sidelock shown above:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...2-1-2-quot-game-gun.cfm?gun_id=101550378

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/25/22 12:32 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

You will search in vain for a maker's trade mark on the Graham pair. The last thing the manufacturers wanted the end user to know was who built them. In the event I'm wrong I would v. much like to hear from you.

You can view that exact Lancaster O/U, serial number 13,747, shown on the Guns International site in a photo essay I wrote captions for called "How the Brits Stack Up" which appeared in the July/Aug 1994 issue of SHOOTING SPORTSMAN. In the intervening 28 years since I have learnt nowt about Lancaster O/U's.

If you would like to see the inside of a Lancaster O/U sidelock there's a fair to good illustration (figure 4) on page 157 of Don Masters Atkin Grant & Lang.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Douglas Tate
You will search in vain for a maker's trade mark on the Graham pair. The last thing the manufacturers wanted the end user to know was who built them. In the event I'm wrong I would v. much like to hear from you.

You can view that exact Lancaster O/U, serial number 13,747, shown on the Guns International site in a photo essay I wrote captions for called "How the Brits Stack Up" which appeared in the July/Aug 1994 issue of SHOOTING SPORTSMAN. In the intervening 28 years since I have learnt nowt about Lancaster O/U's.

If you would like to see the inside of a Lancaster O/U sidelock there's a fair to good illustration (figure 4) on page 157 of Don Masters Atkin Grant & Lang.

Doug

Hello Doug, out of curiosity would these guns be classified British or German? I realise historically that guns built in the UK , with foreign tubes, were classed British, but these Lancasters appear to have a great percentage of foreign build. Thanks for input thus far. Regards ,mrwmartin

NA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.