April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by nca225
I'm always very weary of a Grouse hunter with a single shot shotgun. Next to the .22, its the most popular type of gun for road hunting/ground sluicing slobs.

Originally Posted by Brittany Man
If you must ground swat a grouse or shoot a grouse sitting in a tree you should:

A. Be starving.

B. Shoot them in the head w/a Colt Woodsman or S&W Kit Gun.

Otherwise it is simply not sporting or necessary.

Blanket statements like this will get your chops busted every time .......... like Ted just did.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by nca225
I'm always very weary of a Grouse hunter with a single shot shotgun. Next to the .22, its the most popular type of gun for road hunting/ground sluicing slobs.

If you must ground swat a grouse or shoot a grouse sitting in a tree you should:

A. Be starving.

B. Shoot them in the head w/a Colt Woodsman or S&W Kit Gun.

Otherwise it is simply not sporting or necessary.

Blanket statements like this will get your chops busted every time .......... like Ted just did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've observed over the years that the taste is much the same, shot sitting, walking or flying. The memory is sweeter having the grouse shot flying, I'll admit. A high point for a young hunter, or old. No ground shots with the dog out though! I much agree with Ted. A long standing tradition to simply hunt grouse, by legal means, in MN. God's chickens.
Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chops busted? I think not!

I grew up mentored by hunters other than my father who was deceased. Gun safety & hunting ethics were stressed & rigidly enforced. You did not shoot birds on the ground period! How you took game was considered more important than coming home with a full game bag. I lived in fear that I would commit a transgression that would result in my not being invited to hunt w/my mentors in the future.

When I went away to college & (in a state where a loaded gun in the vehicle & road hunting was legal) I discovered that the hunting ethics I grew up with were not universal. Ground swatting birds was considered normal & sensible if possible & a full limit or more if you could get away with it was considered the measurement of a successful hunt.

As much as I hate to admit it I participated in some of this due to peer pressure but I always felt guilty about it. It was harvesting, not hunting & not enjoyable to me.

If you are a subsistence hunter I guess anything goes but I don't think many posters here qualify as subsistence hunters & other than stopping a wounded bird that is running (assuming no dogs or people are in danger) I can't see any justification for ground swatting a game bird.

My mentors were correct in that the quality of the hunt was much more important than the weight of the game bag after the hunt & I wish that I had always remembered that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was in college, I got laid-off from my job with the State Highway Department. I applied for unemployment compensation until I found a new job, but was denied because I was a full-time student. I subsequently won on appeal, because the law stated that because I was working full-time while attending school full-time, I had demonstrated a willingness to do both.

But prior to having my appeal hearing, and winning that appeal, I had just paid my September rent and security deposit, and Fall Term tuition and books, etc., and I was about as near broke as I have ever been in my life. After several weeks of eating nothing but dirt cheap food like macaroni and cheese or Hamburger Helper without the hamburger, I decided to go dove hunting to get some meat. As I was walking through a cornfield toward the tree line to set up for doves, I kicked out two ringneck pheasants. They flushed straight away, and being hungry for meat protein, I shot both of them almost without thinking... and pheasants were not in season.

That was the very first double I ever got on pheasants, and it was also the first and only time I ever poached. I stashed the birds in the weeds near the road, and picked them up when I left for the evening. It wasn't ethical, and it sure as hell wasn't legal. But those were absolutely the best tasting pheasants I ever ate.

It appears that the post I made in reply to nca225 a couple days ago was deemed inappropriate. That's a shame. I didn't think it was any more inappropriate or offensive than inferring that KenA is a "road hunting/ground sluicing slob." With only 21 posts here, KenA could become offended, and simply decide to leave. I hope he considers the source... one that should have been censored or "moderated" into oblivion years ago.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I can't see any justification for ground swatting a game bird.

So would you ground swat a turkey?
How about shoot at a running deer?
How about shoot at a sitting squirrel?

just curious...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up mentored by hunters other than my father who was deceased. Gun safety & hunting ethics were stressed & rigidly enforced. You did not shoot birds on the ground period! How you took game was considered more important than coming home with a full game bag. I lived in fear that I would commit a transgression that would result in my not being invited to hunt w/my mentors in the future.

When I went away to college & (in a state where a loaded gun in the vehicle & road hunting was legal) I discovered that the hunting ethics I grew up with were not universal. Ground swatting birds was considered normal & sensible if possible & a full limit or more if you could get away with it was considered the measurement of a successful hunt.

As much as I hate to admit it I participated in some of this due to peer pressure but I always felt guilty about it. It was harvesting, not hunting & not enjoyable to me.

If you are a subsistence hunter I guess anything goes but I don't think many posters here qualify as subsistence hunters & other than stopping a wounded bird that is running (assuming no dogs or people are in danger) I can't see any justification for ground swatting a game bird.

My mentors were correct in that the quality of the hunt was much more important than the weight of the game bag after the hunt & I wish that I had always remembered that.

No problem with the above, BM. I much agree. But ......... you gave only two qualifications for shooting a grouse on the ground or off a limb, and then stated that otherwise it would not be necessary. That is cut and dried, but Ted told of a perfectly good reason. That negates your blanket statement. Your strict ethics would deny an old man, unable to swing a gun on a flushing bird, the right to harvest one more grouse for his table. Chops ........... busted.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan. your reply brings to mind one of the many great stories written by the late Gene Hill--"Old Tom".. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

Assuming all game laws are obeyed, the game is respected and safety is set as the highest priority... the rest of hunting involves a lot of personal choices. Blanket statements to suggest one's own opinion is the only correct ethical standard should be avoided outside the circle of pre-screened supporters. Lest someone pick at the statement and start questioning things like shooting .22's into trees on public hunting grounds. Because then you're into qualifying and explaining statements that were supposed to end as a mic drop. wink lol

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is getting silly. I guess we all have are different standards & it is easy to justify some of the things we feel like doing at the time.

Where does it stop? Is ground swatting a covey of quail sitting huddled in the snow OK just because we have been hunting hard, have an empty game bag & a taste for quail & gravy? How about shooting ducks sitting on pond, yellow bottom ponds, bated dove fields & spottlighting deer. It's a slippery slope & all easy to justify in the effort to fill a limit or game bag.

Re. Ted's old man story, while I'm sympathetic & I'm aware of North country Grouse harvesting culture (that is why Savage made those .410 barrels for the takedown 99's I think) I sure as hell hope that the last grouse (or other game bird) I shoot is not ground swatted! What a legacy to leave!

& to the Barron: If you have concerns about shooting a grouse off a limb w/ a .22 hand gun I assume the .22 prohibition would mean squirrels must be shot with a shotgun. In my hunting culture only young children shoot squirrels w /a shotgun. Men shoot squirrels w/.22 rifles & I know a few who use .22 handguns. If the background is unsafe they don't shoot.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.