March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#609690 01/18/22 11:27 PM
Carl46 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone take a second shot at grouse? I don't hunt grouse (they don't live near here) but have long wondered if the second shot is useful. From hunting stories I read, it seems that the bird takes off through the trees like a rocket and one is fortunate to get a single hurried shot.

"Tap" Tappley, who wrote the "Tap's Tips" column for Field and Stream for many years bought his son a Savage 220 hammerless single shot 20 ga. for grouse hunting. Is it possible that that a quick, light single shot is the ideal grouse gun?

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A single shot would just about eliminate the chance for a double! It would also eliminate the happy circumstance of having instant choke selection when the moment calls for it.
Don’t tell anybody, but, I got a double with a Remington model 17 pump, missing the first shot at the bird, connecting on the second, and connecting on the second bird with the third shot, a shot that was far enough away the buddy who witnessed it figured the bird was lost.
My Gordon had other thoughts.

Best,
Ted

bls Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely worth having two shots available....the first shot is usually me going "Holy crap, theres a whizing brown thing over that way, I'll try and shoot in front of it" The second is me going..."oh, now I'll take a real poke".
OR, there's three birds in the tree, and my hunting partner J-MAN points up at them, and we shoot a couple as they flush from the tree...(of course I would never, ever shoot a Grouse that was not on the wing!).......now my hunting partner...he likes the taste of Grouse and I however cannot control his actions :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I kill most of my birds with the second shot (I get surprised often as well). Single shots can be great bird guns but....as Ted has mentioned, even a third shot can be very useful. Maybe it's different for other folks but... I've never found grouse hunting to be very predictable. Options for additional shots are usually a good idea in the environs where I generally find myself.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/19/22 01:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like ruffed grouse hunting with my Tolley single shot. You are either on it or you aren’t. But I also like hunting them with some of my SxS and definitely will have plenty of reason to use the second barrel.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

We do not have ruffs here but we do have dusky(blue) grouse, I make good use of my second barrel on them.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to be too pedantic, but among the people I know that keep track of these things, first shot kill percentages are much lower than second.

Lots of factors, primarily haste.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re instant choke selection, I can recall two occasions when I've gone to the rear trigger for the first shot to take a chance at a grouse that's well out there. Worked both times. But IMO it's not nearly as critical as being able to select the tight barrel first as it is on pheasants. I can recall one ringneck hunt in Iowa where I went back trigger first on 3 roosters in a row. Worked well twice. I might have gotten a little cocky the 3rd time.

Re Tap's son Bill . . . I expect some know the story, but Burton Spiller ("Grouse Feathers" and other books) was Tap's hunting partner. As he neared the end of his hunting days, he asked Bill Tapply if he could handle that little Savage single shot. He asked Bill if they could trade guns for the day. (Spiller's was a Parker V grade 20ga.) At the end of the day, Spiller told Bill to keep the Parker and he'd keep the Savage. Morris Baker of RST now owns the Parker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes the first shot isn't always on accurate point. It takes the second shot to focus in on.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I grew up using a single shot 12 and shot lots of ruffed grouse. It took a few years for me to learn to slow down and wait for a good opportunity. I longed for a double barrel, but the reality was the single barrel forced me to be disciplined in choosing my shots. Today I have several doubles, but choose my shots carefully. Usually only fire one round at a bird. Doubles are not unusual.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.